1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering I want to invent something like Facebook

1. Sep 16, 2016 #1
    When we finish and go to university for studying computer engineering while we do courses like b tech

after studies we need to search for a job or through campus replacement in university we get job .

next thing i wanted to ask is i want to invent something like facebook made by mark zukenberg so what courses i need to do in undergraduation in computer science feild.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A) Learn better English
    B) Have a billion dollar idea

4. Sep 16, 2016 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can't take a course that will tell you how to develop a billion dollar idea. If professors knew how to do this, they'd be too busy doing it.

It may also be relevant to point out that Zuckerberg actually dropped out of Harvard. That's not to say that formal education isn't important. But it's not the be all and end all determinant of your career trajectory. Zuckerberg was a very skilled programmer to begin with. This was because he developed lots of experience on his own. It probably didn't hurt that his parents were able to hire a private programming tutor for him. But then it wasn't like he just came up with Facebook overnight. He had started a number of different websites prior to that. Facebook was the one that took off massively.

So if you're interested in software development or programming - start doing it. You can take courses to teach you the details that you need, and give you the formal qualifications to get into the industry. In a way, it's kind of like running a marathon. You can take a course and someone can teach you all the little details to improve your stride and strike frequency, strategies to fuel your body, etc. But you only cross the finish line by starting the race in the first place.

5. Sep 16, 2016 #4
    First step is to research the heck out of Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. I mean read everything on the subject. Find out how he became who he was/is and how Facebook became what it is. Have you done that?

6. Sep 16, 2016 #5
    thank you

7. Sep 16, 2016 #6
    thanks you

8. Sep 16, 2016 #7
    thank you

9. Sep 16, 2016 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Interesting story at Forbes as to how and why Facebook beat MySpace:

I always wondered how that happened.

10. Sep 16, 2016 #9
    thanks

11. Sep 20, 2016 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Fixed it for you...

12. Sep 27, 2016 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You and several million other people.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted