I am a Civil engineer, and I want to study something else need advice

In summary, the person is a 24-year-old civil engineering graduate who has been working in construction logistics and as a building permit reviewer for 2 years. They find civil engineering to be a nice field but are not interested in advanced areas such as structural engineering. They studied engineering because of their parents' wishes but were better at courses like environmental engineering and civil and construction law. They have been holding onto their current jobs to support their family but are now looking for advice on further education and career options. They are considering pursuing an MBA or a new bachelor's degree in air traffic management and logistics, but have concerns about their age and family responsibilities. They also mention being happy with their current job but wanting to advance and do something they truly enjoy
Riazy
Hi guys hope all of you are doing well. I am a 24 year old guy, I recently graduated with my Bachelors in civil engineering. I have been working in Construction logistics and as a building permit reviewer for the local municipality for about 2 years. I find civil engineering a nice field to work in, but I could never expect myself to work in the more advanced areas of it, such as structural engineering as I didn't excel very well at mechanics or timber and steel structures / Concrete for example.

Ofcourse everyone can learn to do something better and advance from there, but when you don't really have the interest and motivation to do all types of work then you get depressed. While studying I didn't concentrate too much on Learning Drawing technique for example.
I studied because my parents wanted me to become a civil engineer and they thought it would be good for me, so I joined, and struggled a bit, I sometimes got a B or C in math, but still passed, but was Always better at Courses such as environmental engineering,city planning, civil and Construction law, building technology, Construction management etc. And less good at the mechanics type of Heavy Courses.

I have been holding on to these jobs, in Construction logistics and building permit reviewer just to support my family, salary aint great but I don't care about salary. The current job I am doing, (building permit reviewer), is kind of fun, but I want to advance from here and do something I like.

Now this is where I need some advice. About further education., I have been thinking of either doing

1. Pursuing an MBA, and hoping for a change I am really trying to get away from Everything that has some technical job kind of tasks. (Yeah shame on me for pursuing "engineering" in the first Place, but eh? respect for parents ehm)

Now if I pursue an MBA what kind of jobs can i apply for
- Do they have to be Construction related?, and if so what kind of jobs and positions can I expect, if I choose to stay in the Construction field
- What other fields and jobs can I get beyond the civil engineering / Construction type of jobs?
- I don't want to become a banker or something, but I want a change.

2. Studying a new Bachelors in Air Traffic Management and Logistics I am really interested in this, and it's something that I could imagine myself doing.

The problem here is
- I am 24 and would probably be 28-29 when I am out and will start my career, and I am unsure if the will accept fresh graduates in that age in the Airlines/Aviation business---------
Other things to have in mind
- I am married and have two kids, and I have to support them
- I already have a job (I like it, but want to advance and do something fun)

Please give some advice

// Riazy

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for edititing . My first language is not English as you might have noticed.

I am looking forward To hear from u guys

Riazy said:
The current job I am doing, (building permit reviewer), is kind of fun, but I want to advance from here and do something I like.

Doesn't "kind of fun" mean that you like it? Can't you progress up the management hierarchy in the company? Better the devil you know, and all that...

1. What other fields can I study as a civil engineer?

As a civil engineer, you have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and design principles. This makes you well-suited for fields such as structural engineering, environmental engineering, transportation engineering, and construction management.

2. Will I have to start from the beginning if I switch to a different field of study?

It depends on the field you choose to study. Some fields may require you to take additional courses to catch up on the specific knowledge and skills needed. However, your background in civil engineering will still be valuable and may even give you an advantage in certain areas.

3. Is it possible to study something completely unrelated to engineering?

Absolutely! Many civil engineers choose to pursue fields such as business, law, or even art and design. Your engineering background shows that you have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in any field.

4. How can I decide which field of study to pursue?

Start by researching different fields and considering your interests and goals. You can also talk to professionals in various industries to gain a better understanding of what their work involves. Additionally, consider internships or part-time jobs in different fields to gain hands-on experience and see what you enjoy.

5. Will switching to a different field of study affect my job prospects in the future?

It depends on the field you choose to study and the job market at the time of your graduation. However, having a diverse educational background can make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers. Your experience as a civil engineer can also be valuable in certain industries, such as project management or consulting.