I want to teach myself Algebra and Geometry.

In summary, a student in 8th grade is interested in learning high school level algebra and wants to know which books would be suitable. They are also open to alternative methods of learning, such as online resources. Some recommended books and websites are mentioned in the conversation.
LogicalAcid
If you have not read my previous threads, you should know I am in 8th grade. For one, I have been wanting to do this for a while, but many people have said "wait until your in High school". Well what I say is, enough of that. I learn what I want to learn when I want to learn it, nothing wrong with that in the slightest. First things first, books are my favorite way of learning (second to actual one on one, which I cannot afford a tutor), so everyone has heard of Dover math books, the question is, which ones suit my needs? I'm not advanced, but not completely new either. Anyone willing to share books they find appropriate, in other words they have to have the textbook feel (give you examples and problems to do, along with teaching you first of course).

I want to learn High school freshman-sophomore algebra basically, AP or general, what ever you find fit.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Logical,

It's fantastic you want to learn all of this stuff, but this forum is made to teach people about concepts they find confusing, so it is best to use in conjunction with a class. The level of math in this forum goes beyond that of Analysis, which is undergraduate level mathematics, it is far beyond the Algebra II or pre-calc that you may have encountered in your middle school. If you get into high school and wish to help others or ask questions this forum would be better for you.

I can't recommend you any books as I'm from Australia and we probably have different standards to the US (which is where I'm assuming you're from) but I stumbled across a website set up by a past nobel piece prize winner in physics. The site basically starts you from step 1 of everything which is beginner algebra and then works you through to the more advanced concepts of maths and physics.

Here's the link:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html"

Good on you for wanting to start so young.

Last edited by a moderator:
LogicalAcid,

Just look for a used book on Elementary Algebra, and one on Geometry - the ones that high schools would have used. No real problem using an old book. They are still as good today as they would have been when they were new, maybe 10 to 25 years ago. In general, do not try to be too skimpy on which parts of the textbook you study. Some topics may be optional but many are essential. When you finish an Elementary Algebra book, then you can go directly to an Intermediate Algebra book and continue studying this. You can learn which topics are "essential" for a course from searching for and reading a few syllabi of the courses which may be available online or directly from some schools.

Basically then, yes, you can teach yourself Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Geometry. Used books are often just as good as new books, and are far less expensive.

While reading ahead of the high school curriculum it's good to also have a few books on recreational mathematics and math in history/culture. The sort of books that can be read anywhere in the middle and just enjoyed, but also give a different perspective on the topics you're learning (e.g. Gardner, Stewart, Kline, Hogben to name a few popular authors).

I.M. Gelfand has a collection of high school level mathematics books that I would recommend. When I was in high school I used his algebra and trigonometry book. They are very slim but great elementary mathematics books. Here is the amazon link to his Algebra book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817636773/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The math books published by Dover would not suit your needs most likely. They are mostly reprints of classic math books. Therefore usually about math above the high school level. There are a few high school level problem books such as, Challenging Problems in Algebra (I am not sure if that is the correct title.) but I would not recommend those when you are first learning algebra.

yesterdaysjam said:
I can't recommend you any books as I'm from Australia and we probably have different standards to the US (which is where I'm assuming you're from) but I stumbled across a website set up by a past nobel piece prize winner in physics. The site basically starts you from step 1 of everything which is beginner algebra and then works you through to the more advanced concepts of maths and physics.

Here's the link:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html"

Good on you for wanting to start so young.

Wow!

This is a great site, thanks for the recommendation!

1. What is the best way to teach myself Algebra and Geometry?

The best way to teach yourself Algebra and Geometry is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Start by reviewing fundamental concepts, such as order of operations, equations, and geometric shapes. Then, practice solving problems and use online resources or textbooks to supplement your learning.

2. How much time should I dedicate to learning Algebra and Geometry?

The amount of time you should dedicate to learning Algebra and Geometry depends on your current level of understanding and how quickly you grasp new concepts. It's important to set aside consistent study time each week and practice regularly to see progress. It may also be helpful to break down your learning into smaller, manageable chunks.

3. What are some effective study strategies for learning Algebra and Geometry?

Effective study strategies for learning Algebra and Geometry include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller steps, using visual aids and diagrams to understand concepts, and seeking help from a tutor or online resources when needed. It can also be helpful to find real-world applications for the concepts you are learning to make them more relevant and easier to remember.

4. How can I stay motivated while teaching myself Algebra and Geometry?

Staying motivated while teaching yourself Algebra and Geometry can be challenging, but it's important to remember why you started and the benefits of learning these subjects. Set achievable goals, celebrate your progress, and reward yourself for your hard work. You can also find study partners or join online communities to stay accountable and motivated.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me learn Algebra and Geometry?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help you learn Algebra and Geometry. Online educational platforms, such as Khan Academy, offer free tutorials and practice problems. You can also find textbooks, workbooks, and study guides at your local library or bookstore. Additionally, there are many apps and online calculators that can assist with solving equations and visualizing geometry problems.