Are Algebra, Geometry, Probability innate or cultural?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether concepts such as Algebra, Geometry, and Probability are innate or learned from others. The example of a mommy rat carrying her babies to safety when presented with a threat shows that she may have some basic understanding of "none" and "some," but not higher numbers. However, the ability to anticipate and respond to danger shows some rudimentary sense of probability. The conversation also touches on the influence of culture on learning these concepts, as well as the potential for humans to develop a rudimentary understanding of these concepts if isolated from society.
fbs7
Are the concepts of the rules of Algebra, Geometry and Probability things that all humans have some instinctive grasp at some level, or things that we basically learn from others, therefore cultural?

Let me explain. I once saw an experiment with a mommy rat. She had 4 puppies, and someone put a snake in front (in a glass, so that the snake would not eat them puppies). The mommy rat immediately carried the puppies, one by one, to a safer location, then made one more trip to check that no puppies had been left behind. That showed the poor little rat couldn't count to 4. So a mommy rat probably knows "none" and "some", maybe knows "one", but definitely doesn't know "two", "three" and "four".

Then I remember a clip of a mother with a baby on her lap, and someone walking behind them. The baby turned her head right to keep watching that person, then as the person walked behind them she turned the head left expecting the person to come into view from that angle. Amazing! A little baby on diapers, that can't do anything, already has an innate knowledge of 3D space, "left", "right", "behind" and can anticipate future trajectories!

Now, the little rat has a neural network, so I suspect it could be trained to count from 1 to 4, but that's a learned trick, not innate, and as a learned thing the rat could be taught base-3 instead of base-10. The learning depends on the culture that is teaching the concept. Similarly, no little baby is born knowing Relativity, so Relativity is 100% a cultural thing - created once, repeated forever.

I'm sure that there are aspects of say Algebra that definitely are cultural. For example zero. There's no zero in Roman numerals... CCIII = 203, no zero in Roman number there, and the history of invention of zero is documented. But the understanding of one, two, three and counting, is it possible that's an innate thing? Apparently all human groups know how to count and add (not sure about subtraction), so is it possible that if a pair of humans, one male and one female, grow isolated from everything, would by themselves develop some kind of language (because toddlers spontaneously do), and if mommy human gets 4 babies she would probably do 4 trips to save them from the snake [note 1], not 5?

If so, then is it possible that some kind of rudimentary or instinctive Algebra is innate to the human brain, as well as rudiments of Geometry and Probability?[note 1] yeah, yeah, someone will say mommy human can do two trips by carrying a baby in each arm, or one trip by making a pyramid of babies, yeah, yeah, but you got my point

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
fbs7 said:
Let me explain. I once saw an experiment with a mommy rat. She had 4 puppies, and someone put a snake in front (in a glass, so that the snake would not eat them puppies). The mommy rat immediately carried the puppies, one by one, to a safer location, then made one more trip to check that no puppies had been left behind. That showed the poor little rat couldn't count to 4. So a mommy rat probably knows "none" and "some", maybe knows "one", but definitely doesn't know "two", "three" and "four".
Maybe mommy rat couldn't count, but I am sure she had some rudimentary sense of probability. Have you heard of the fight-or-flight response?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response
Mommy rat evaluated the a priori probability of being eaten by the snake as close to 1, that's why she fled with her babies. Had she, like us humans, understood the subtleties of Bayesian probability and folded in the probability of being eaten by a snake if a snake is in a glass cage, then she would have the need to fight or flee but would have considered this a visit to the zoo with the children. :smile:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_probability

1. Is there a genetic component to understanding Algebra, Geometry, and Probability?

While research suggests that there may be some genetic factors that contribute to mathematical abilities, it is not the sole determinant. Environmental and cultural factors also play a significant role in a person's understanding of these mathematical concepts.

2. Are certain cultures more predisposed to understanding Algebra, Geometry, and Probability?

There is no evidence to suggest that any particular culture has a greater predisposition to understanding these mathematical concepts. However, cultural influences such as access to education and societal attitudes towards math may impact a person's proficiency in these areas.

3. Can anyone learn Algebra, Geometry, and Probability regardless of their cultural background?

Yes, anyone can learn and understand these mathematical concepts with proper instruction and practice. While cultural factors may influence a person's initial exposure and comfort with these topics, they do not limit a person's ability to learn and excel in them.

4. Are there cultural differences in how Algebra, Geometry, and Probability are taught?

Yes, there may be some cultural differences in how these concepts are taught and perceived. For example, some cultures may place more emphasis on rote memorization while others may focus on problem-solving and critical thinking. However, the fundamental principles of these mathematical concepts remain the same regardless of cultural differences.

5. Can cultural influences impact a person's performance in Algebra, Geometry, and Probability?

Yes, cultural influences such as societal attitudes towards math, access to resources, and educational opportunities can impact a person's performance in these mathematical areas. It is important to recognize and address these factors to ensure equitable learning opportunities for all individuals.