I was reading simon singh's the code book

In summary: In general, you would need to know the specific cipher that you are trying to crack in order to do frequency analysis. However, if there are specific homophones in the cipher that you can use to your advantage, then you can still attempt to crack it.
murshid_islam
i was reading simon singh's the code book. it describes different systems of cryptography. but what i wanted to know was how to 'crack' different ciphers.
can any suggest anything i can read.
thanks to anyone who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
murshid_islam said:
i was reading simon singh's the code book. it describes different systems of cryptography. but what i wanted to know was how to 'crack' different ciphers.
can any suggest anything i can read.
thanks to anyone who can help.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...serid=tj0WvLUCqf&isbn=0130303690&TXT=Y&itm=7" I haven't gotten very far in it but it does teach several types of ciphers and how to attack them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that book, what type of cipher are you talking about, the book mentions many types of cipher, its a bit hard to say how to break them without knowing the cipher you had in mind.

finchie_88 said:
what type of cipher are you talking about, the book mentions many types of cipher

how do you break the monoalphabetic cipher with Homophones?
thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Are you doing the puzzles at the back of the book? I done them

The way you solve that is to use frequency analysis on the characters in the "sample", then you can use that to guess what symbols stand for what. It helps if you look at the frequency of the characters before and after each character, since vowels are found before and after almost anything, but constanants are slightly less 'social'.

finchie_88 said:
Are you doing the puzzles at the back of the book? I done them

The way you solve that is to use frequency analysis on the characters in the "sample", then you can use that to guess what symbols stand for what. It helps if you look at the frequency of the characters before and after each character, since vowels are found before and after almost anything, but constanants are slightly less 'social'.

i was talking about the "homophones". is it possible to crack it using frequency analysis?

Yes, its harder than without, but you can still do it when there are homophones involved. It just requires a little guess work.

finchie_88 said:
Yes, its harder than without, but you can still do it when there are homophones involved. It just requires a little guess work.

could you please elaborate a little. what i want to know is how to crack the cipher with homophones. because if we use homophones the frequency of all the letters are almost same.

thanks

1. What is "The Code Book" about?

"The Code Book" by Simon Singh is about the history and development of cryptography, the science of secret writing. It explores the fascinating stories and techniques behind some of the most famous codes and ciphers in history.

2. Is "The Code Book" only for people with a background in math or science?

No, "The Code Book" is written for a general audience and does not require a background in math or science. Singh explains complex concepts in a clear and accessible way, making it a great read for anyone interested in the topic of cryptography.

3. What makes "The Code Book" different from other books about cryptography?

"The Code Book" stands out for its engaging storytelling and historical context. Rather than just focusing on the technical aspects of cryptography, Singh delves into the real-life stories of codebreakers and code-makers, making the book both informative and entertaining.

4. Can I learn how to create my own codes and ciphers from "The Code Book"?

While "The Code Book" does provide some basic information about different types of codes and ciphers, it is primarily a book about the history of cryptography. If you are interested in learning how to create your own codes, you may need to supplement your reading with additional resources.

5. Is "The Code Book" still relevant in today's digital age?

Absolutely. While some of the techniques described in "The Code Book" may be outdated, the book provides a solid foundation for understanding the principles of encryption and the ongoing battle between code makers and code breakers. It also discusses modern-day applications of cryptography, such as online security and data encryption.