1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I will be 22 soon and kind of frustrated!

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    Hi,

Soon I will turn 22 and I have not yet managed to attend college (That is due to certain circumstances).
    By the time I will attend my first class (Supposing that will be in Oct/2016) I will be almost 23 years old and doing my bachelor of science in Electrical engineering.
    I am kind of frustrated as I feel I am a bit old to be a freshman.

What do you think about this? What was your age when you were a freshman ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're worrying much too much about something which hasn't even happened yet.

People much older than you have started college and done just fine.

People much younger than you have started college and bombed horribly.

Your age is not the important factor here: it is how hard you work and apply yourself to your studies without getting distracted by trivialities after you start school.

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3
    I started my degree at 24. Having had a few years to mature and gain work experience has been beneficial in my opinion. I see no reason to be upset because you're going a few years older than those around you. As a matter of fact, I have met many people at my university who much older than I.

I think it's difficult on 17-18 year olds to have to decide what they want major in if they go to school, or if they want to go straight into the workforce. Taking time to think about while making money is never a bad idea.

5. Nov 21, 2015 #4
    That's completely OK. Nothing to worry about. There were a couple of people above 30 and even one gentleman who was like 65 years old in my uni classes. They did just OK. I was almost 21 when I started uni and I had no problems at all. probably no one even noticed I was a bit older. You will meet many people above 20 in your classes.
    In Europe, there are even special classes for people who are over 60 years old. It's called "university of the third age". Sometimes we met these classes in the building and they were so lively, full of energy and laughed often. it was a joy to observe them.
    So no, you are DEFINITELY not too old! :)

6. Nov 21, 2015 #5

billy_joule

Science Advisor

At my uni (QS top 350 (98th percentile)) just OK is an understatement. The magna cum laude was 30 something, the majority of the first class honours were mature. The prize giving was dominated by older students.
    It was startling how ruthlessly us older students dominated the young. The most clear difference was in design challenges, most high school graduates had no practical skills. The older students were engineers by nature, if not by trade, and had a lifetime of experience. It seemed many of the young engineers are pushed into it without any natural inclination and had no personal interest in the profession, their job hunt success reflected this...

7. Nov 21, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Dang near 30! :wink:

8. Nov 21, 2015 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I wouldn't sweat it. It's not like we can turn the clock back, so you might as well just move forward.

9. Nov 21, 2015 #8
    I started school when I was 24. I know guys who started at 28 or late into their 30's. It's never too late.

10. Nov 21, 2015 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. Nov 21, 2015 #10
    One of my classmates began his freshman year at age 35. That is nearing the age where age begins to be a factor, since he is now 39 and, since he's looking into grad school, he won't be looking at a career until he's maybe 50.

But 22? Seriously, that's not even a question, just do it. If your life is made up for you by age 22, then we're all screwed.

12. Nov 21, 2015 #11

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I shared accommodation with someone studying law. He was over 60 I think.

13. Nov 21, 2015 #12

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I can understand what it's like when you're 22. It's kind of like you're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time.

Remember that life isn't a race. You have to take advantage of the opportunities that you have as they come and not worry too much about the opportunities that other people have had, because there will always be someone who had more opportunity, did something earlier, was born into more money, etc. And there will always be someone who looks at you and is envious of the opportunities that you have. Remember, there are a lot of people in the world who never have the opportunity for post-secondary education at all.

14. Nov 27, 2015 #13
    I was held back a year in grade school, and entered university as a freshman at age 19, which is still very early. I was quite surprised to see how many "untraditional" students (to which it was almost ironic to label them as such) occupied all of my classes. Very many veteran and second-bachelor students, including my roommate who is of latter. I would estimate the average age of all the students I've met to be +23, and if you're attending a large state university just like mine, I'd imagine it'll be similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook