ICE chart, Equilibrium question

In summary, the question is asking for the value of Kc for the reaction H2(g) + F2(g) <=> 2HF(g) when 0.010 mol H2, 0.050 mol F2, and 0.0125 mol HF are present at equilibrium in a 1.00 L container. Using the ICE chart, the equation [HF]^2 / ([H2]-[HF])([F2]-[HF]) is derived, and the correct value for Kc is found to be 9.51^-1.
dolpho

Homework Statement

What is the value of Kc for the reaction H2(g) + F2(g) <=> 2HF(g) given that when 0.010 mol H2 and 0.050 mol F2 are added to a 1.00 L container, 0.0125 mol HF is present at equilibrium.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about how to set up the ICE chart in this scenario. We have

H2(g) + F2(g) <=> 2HF(g)

.01... (.05) ... 0
-x ...-x ... 2x
.01-x...(.05-x) ... (.0125)

2x = .0125, x = .00625,

[.0125] ^2 / [.01 - .00625] [ .05-.00625] = 9.3 x 10 ^-6

Which is the incorrect answer, 9.51 ^-1 is right but I'm not sure how to get there. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
0.1 or 0.01?

Borek said:
0.1 or 0.01?

Oops, I'm sorry it's .01, .05, Any ideas :D?

Check your math. Formula you derived looks OK to me and its value is not 9.3x10-6. Or at least that's not what I got just by keying it into a calculator.

Borek said:
Check your math. Formula you derived looks OK to me and its value is not 9.3x10-6. Or at least that's not what I got just by keying it into a calculator.

Ugh...That feeling when you stress out over a question just to type in the right answer 45 minutes later. Thanks you sir!

What is an ICE chart?

An ICE (initial-change-equilibrium) chart is a visual representation of the changes that occur during a chemical reaction at equilibrium. It helps to determine the amount of reactants and products present at equilibrium.

How do you construct an ICE chart?

To construct an ICE chart, first write down the initial concentrations of all reactants and products. Then, use the stoichiometric coefficients of the balanced chemical equation to determine the changes in concentration. Finally, use the equilibrium constant expression to calculate the equilibrium concentrations.

What is the purpose of an ICE chart?

The purpose of an ICE chart is to determine the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is also used to calculate the equilibrium constant (K) for the reaction.

What information can be obtained from an ICE chart?

From an ICE chart, we can obtain the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products, as well as the equilibrium constant (K) for the reaction. This information can be used to predict the direction of the reaction and the amount of each species present at equilibrium.

What are some limitations of using an ICE chart?

An ICE chart assumes that the reaction is at equilibrium and that the equilibrium constant (K) is known. It also assumes that the reaction is taking place in a closed system and that there are no other factors affecting the reaction. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold true, which can limit the accuracy of the results obtained from an ICE chart.