Ice Cubes and Drink Equilibrium

In summary: The system is at equilibrium, so nothing changes.In summary, the tea reaches an equilibrium temperature of 0°C after the addition of three 50g ice cubes at -10°C to 250g of tea at 50°C. Only 0.147kg of the ice melts, leaving 3g of ice remaining. The concept of equilibrium in this specific instance may be confusing, but the calculations and conclusions are accurate.
martepartay

Homework Statement

In an attempt to quickly make iced tea, three 50 g ice cubes with a temperature of -10 C are added to 250 g of tea with a temperature of 50 C. After a short time, the system reaches equilibrium. Ice has a specific heat capacity of 0.48 kcal/kg/K and the latent heat of fusion for ice/water is 80 kcal/kg. Assume that tea has the same thermal properties as water, and ignore any heat exchanged with the environment.

1. What equilibrium temperature does the tea reach?
2. Does all of the ice melt? If not, how much is left?

Homework Equations

Q=mL and Q=cmΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I have reached a solution, but conceptually don't understand it fully, and thus I'm not sure if it is right nor am I sure my answer is the "finished" answer. I have left the units in kcal/kg and C since I do not believe it makes a difference, as the differences in C are equivalent to those in K. As well, I figured if I kept everything in kcal it wouldn't make a difference between kcal or J.

To start, I found the decrease in temperature of the tea to first reach the ice's melting point.
Since heat must be conserved, Qice=Qtea

(0.150kg)*(0.48kcal/kg/C)*(10°C) = (0.250kg)*(1kcal/kg/C)*(50°C-Final Temperature)

Final Temperature = 47.12°C

From there, I tried to find how much ice melts. At first I simply did Qice=Q tea where mL = cmΔT
but found that the tea ended up at -1.2°C. Thus, all the ice couldn't have melted. Therefore, I tried to find how much DID melt.

m*(80kcal/kg/c) = (0.250g)*(1kcal/kg/C)*(47.12°C-0°C)
m= 0.147kg ice
thus 0.150kg - 0.147kg ice dictates that 0.003kg of ice was left over, or 3g of ice.

Thus I concluded that 1) the equilibrium temperature must be 0°C and 2) there is 3g of ice left floating around. I figured this was the end, but I'm not sure. Does the ice just stick around and no more heat is exchanged? I'm really confused conceptually for this specific instance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's all correct. At 0C, the ice and water can coexist. They are the same temperature, so no heat flows.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the purpose of ice cubes in a drink?

Ice cubes are used to cool down a drink and maintain its temperature. When the ice cubes are added to a drink, they absorb heat from the liquid and melt, making the drink colder.

2. How do ice cubes affect the equilibrium of a drink?

Ice cubes can disturb the equilibrium of a drink by changing its temperature. When ice cubes are added to a drink, the temperature decreases, causing the molecules to move slower and the concentration of particles to decrease. This can affect the taste and consistency of the drink.

3. Is there a specific ratio of ice cubes to drink that maintains equilibrium?

The ratio of ice cubes to drink that maintains equilibrium varies depending on personal preference and the temperature of the drink. Generally, a 1:1 ratio of ice cubes to drink is a good starting point, but it can be adjusted according to taste.

4. How does the size and shape of ice cubes affect equilibrium?

The size and shape of ice cubes can affect equilibrium by changing the surface area of the ice cube in contact with the drink. Smaller ice cubes will have a larger surface area, causing them to melt faster and cool the drink quicker. The shape of the ice cubes can also affect the rate of melting and the overall taste of the drink.

5. Can the type of water used to make ice cubes affect the equilibrium of a drink?

Yes, the type of water used to make ice cubes can affect the equilibrium of a drink. Impurities in the water can affect the taste and appearance of the ice cubes, which can ultimately alter the taste of the drink. It is recommended to use filtered or distilled water for making ice cubes for the best results.