Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'd rather do your work than mine

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    Does anyone else find themselves haunting the forum looking for other people's math or science questions to answer when they have perfectly good math/science work to do themselves? I have THREE textbooks I could and should be working out of, but what am I doing? Looking for other people's equations to solve. What's up with that?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2

disregardthat

Science Advisor

It's easier!

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3
    Bahahaha I find myself doing this quite often. I think it's mostly because I get bored of whatever I'm working on at the time and just 'take a break'... an 'extended break'. ;)

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Every now and then, when you don't know what the **** is going on, it's nice to feel like you're smarter than someone, anyone else.

Then it's back to the gallows.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

If you're not going to do the work you're supposed to do anyway, I can recommend http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php" [Broken].

It's about getting through the Phd-to-be stage where it's apparently impossible to get any work done. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Aug 6, 2011 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I sometimes find myself here instead of working on my thesis. That's probably why I've recently taken to running Freedom (despite the domain name, PC and Mac versions available):
    http://macfreedom.com/

8. Aug 6, 2011 #7

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

hahahaha too true. Right now I should be working on my thesis but looking through and contributing to discussions here is far more enjoyable. I think whenever there is pressure to do something the stress of it takes away some of the enjoyment.

9. Aug 6, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I believe so too. :smile:
    And I'd take it a step further.
    Whenever I have stress because I have to do something, the urge to do something else (like contributing to PF) becomes stronger. :wink:

10. Aug 6, 2011 #9
    I'm already up to summer 2007 in the archives... I'm scared about what happens when I catch up to current. No more hours of comic reading? I also find it kind of depressing, reading about the struggles to graduate, and students not having any work to show their advisor, while I'm not doing any work to show my advisor....

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Aug 6, 2011 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's sooooo true!

12. Aug 6, 2011 #11
    Not really relevant to the discussion, but when I saw the thread title I thought it mean "I'd rather do your work than work in a mine"

13. Aug 6, 2011 #12

I like Serena

Homework Helper

No worries, you can tell yourself that when you catch up, you'll have no more reason to be distracted.... and then you will think of something else, of course. :wink:

Btw, I suspect that the author found that drawing comics was (or is :tongue:) a "better" way to spend his time than working on his thesis.

:smile:

14. Aug 6, 2011 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have my MS thesis that needs to be done in a little over 2 months. What have I had the stronger impulse to do instead? Clean my work room. Develop a guide to using Latex for incoming MS students. Learning to cook. Go golfing.

15. Aug 6, 2011 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think that this graph is uncomfortably accurate:

phd102710s.gif

16. Aug 6, 2011 #15

RonL

Gold Member

I was just about to comment "It's likely the most educational method of procrastination that will ever be known"

17. Aug 6, 2011 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And we both know all about the delights of correcting student papers, don't we, Chi Meson?
    It is soo absorbing&worthwhile that even a peek on PF is difficult to make...

18. Aug 6, 2011 #17

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Weren't you working on a thesis as well?
    How is it coming along? :biggrin:

(I'm just happy I'm not working on one any more!)

19. Aug 6, 2011 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

:grumpy:

20. Aug 6, 2011 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh yes. :ironic:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook