1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideas for discussions for a math club

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    So I am making a math club for the school year 2014-2015.
    I've taught myself AP calculus AB, BC, differential equations, linear algebra, and some discrete mathematics. I'm a freshman and I don't know how to teach effectively.

So I'll be the president of the club, and teach the members those topics.
    Basically, my school isn't really mathish. I want at least 12 members to join.

I want to know what mathematics competitions there are in silicon valley.
    I also want to know specifically what topics people study for competitive geometry and algebra tests. I want them to learn and have fun.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Check out the "Related Discussions" thread list at the bottom of this page -- that should give you a good start! :-)

4. May 6, 2014 #3
    Welcome to Physics Forums and congrats on learning all that material!

In your math club, you can:
    -fill it with
    -topics can range from history, philosophy, and math education to the discussion and study of particular areas of math
    -run problem solving sessions for both remedial and advanced areas of mathematics
    -cover basic and advanced subjects like high school algebra and geometry to college level courses such as calculus, statistics, analysis, abstract algebra, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Number Theory, Topology, Combinatorics, Probability, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Statistics, Remedial Math, Mathematics Education etc (I do not mean going deeply into them, maybe just what they are about and so on)
    -why people enjoy math

You can also search this online and find lots of idea. As berkeman mentioned, just look at the related discussions below or use the search button. Good luck with your math club.

5. May 6, 2014 #4

IGU

What does Silicon Valley have to do with anything? Are you located nearby? If so, the premier regional competition is BAMO. However there are many others. What age and math level students do you expect to join the club?

I strongly suggest you find a math circle near you and talk to one of the directors. That should help quite a bit with local issues.

6. May 10, 2014 #5

Ok, so do you know any mathematics competitions given nationwide/international to certain areas? Like the google science fair but purely for high school mathematics.

7. May 10, 2014 #6

IGU

The "many others" like I provided has pretty much everything out there. Did you look at that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook