Ideas suggestions for low speed cargo crawler

In summary: Your project sounds like it would be very difficult to control the amount of torque that is produced. I would recommend looking into electric motors. They are much easier to control and are very reliable.
tyquestions
Hello All-
Below is a picture of a cargo crawler I've been thinking of. Gross weight would be 2000lbs, moves between 1.5- 3mph, crawls on pavement or concrete. So far I've come up with aluminum tube welded frame with wheel motors at the rear, either motorcycle type or electric forklift type, the latter already built for heavy weight. Based on speed I've come up with aprox. 150-600 ft/lbs of torque needed, (150 for 1.5mph & 600 for 3mph).

Q1-Can i simply divide the ft/lb requirement by 2 to come up with the torque for each motor, 1 on each side in the rear?

Q2 - If a motor is rated at say 100 ft/lbs of torque on the spec. sheet, is that under no load, an industry standard load or what? How much decrease in torque could i expect as load increases? (in this case 2000lbs)

Q3 Anybody have any thoughts suggetions on either frame design, frame material, drive system?

The power system envisioned is DC with onboard battery. The crawler needs to run for 120 minutes continuously at a constant rate of speed somewhere between the 1.5-3mph.

Interested in any input.

Thanks
Tyler

Attachments

• float frame.JPG
    float frame.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 292
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm interested to know where you came up with your numbers from; would you care to share them?

Q1-Can i simply divide the ft/lb requirement by 2 to come up with the torque for each motor, 1 on each side in the rear?
I don't see why not.

Q2 - If a motor is rated at say 100 ft/lbs of torque on the spec. sheet, is that under no load, an industry standard load or what? How much decrease in torque could i expect as load increases? (in this case 2000lbs)
That is how much torque it can put out, it is independent of the resistance it's trying to turn against. Torque is analagous to force in:
[tex] T = I \omega[/tex] Where T is your net torque, I is the mass moment of inertia, and [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular acceleration.

So, you can accelerate an extremely large mass with a very small force (or in this case torque). The problem is that as you accelerate, other forces such as friction begin to increase, which puts your equation out of balance.

For your case, you're going to need to look at rolling contact. I believe we just had a thread a month or so ago regarding the same thing.

For something with such low speed and high torque requirements, I'd be inclined to go with hydraulic motors. It might be a bit too expensive, though.

I got the numbers from an energy calculator i found at www.1728.com/energy.htm . I can only assume it is an accurate calculator. used 2000lbs for the weight and 1.5mph for the low baseline and got 150ftlbs, and 3mph for the highend which gave me 600 ftlbs. Ijust went back to the website and reinput the figures and got the same answers, but now that i think about it, a FORD f450 has xxxhundreds of ftlbs of capacity (300, 700 I don't know but its something like that) and that thing can pull 24,000 lbs at 70 mph! Maybe that calculator is wrong?

Re: hydraulics - That was actually the first incarnation of the project, but I was overwhelmed with fluid flow, tank size, pump size in relation to how much fluid flow i would need and just absolutely could not even begin to get a handle on it. When i found wheel motors it seemed like a much simpler and straightforward setup. If you have any thoughts on the hydraulics I'm still open to it, I just could not get a handle on the whole amount of flow through the hydraulic motor thing.

I'll check the rolling contact resistance thread and see what i can pick up

Thanks
tyler

1. What is a low speed cargo crawler and how does it work?

A low speed cargo crawler is a type of vehicle designed to transport heavy cargo at a slow speed. It typically has tracks or wheels for movement and a large platform for carrying the cargo. The crawler works by using its tracks or wheels to move along the ground, and its platform can be loaded with cargo for transportation.

2. What are the advantages of using a low speed cargo crawler?

There are several advantages to using a low speed cargo crawler. Firstly, it is able to transport heavy cargo over rough terrain or in difficult conditions where other vehicles may struggle. Additionally, its slow speed allows for more control and stability while carrying delicate or sensitive cargo. It also has a larger carrying capacity compared to other vehicles, making it ideal for shipping large and heavy items.

3. Can a low speed cargo crawler be modified for specific purposes?

Yes, a low speed cargo crawler can be modified for various purposes depending on the cargo that needs to be transported. For example, the platform can be adjusted for different sizes and shapes of cargo, and additional features like cranes or winches can be added for loading and unloading. It can also be equipped with different types of tracks or wheels depending on the terrain it will be operating on.

4. Is a low speed cargo crawler environmentally friendly?

Compared to other heavy-duty vehicles, a low speed cargo crawler is relatively environmentally friendly. It typically operates on electric or diesel power, which can be more efficient than other types of fuel. Its slow speed also means it produces less emissions and noise pollution compared to faster vehicles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a low speed cargo crawler?

One limitation of using a low speed cargo crawler is its slow speed, which may not be suitable for urgent or time-sensitive shipments. It also requires a relatively flat surface for efficient movement, so it may not be suitable for extremely rough or steep terrains. Additionally, the cost of purchasing and maintaining a low speed cargo crawler may be higher compared to other types of vehicles.