Identical Fourier coefficients of continuous ##f,\varphi\Rightarrow f=\varphi##

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
DavideGenoa
Messages
151
Reaction score
5
Hi, friends! Let ##f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{C}## be an http://librarum.org/book/10022/173 periodic function and let its derivative be Lebesgue square-integrable ##f'\in L^2[a,b]##. I have read a proof (p. 413 here) by Kolmogorov and Fomin of the fact that its Fourier series uniformly converges to a continuous function ##\varphi## whose Fourier coefficients are the same as the Fourier coefficients of ##f##.

I read in the same proof that, since ##\varphi## has the same Fourier coefficients of ##f##, because of the continuity of the two functions we get ##f=\varphi##. I do not understand why continuity guarantees the equality. Could anybody explain that?

I ##\infty##-ly thank you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that the answer is there: ##(f-\varphi)(x)=0## almost everywhere, if I correctly understand...
Thank you so much!