Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two conditions of existence for Lebesgue integral

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    Dear friends, I read in Kolmogorov-Fomin's that the following property of measurable real or complex valued functions ##\varphi,f## defined on measure space ##X##, proven in the text for ##\mu(X)<\infty## only, is also valid if ##X=\bigcup_n X_n## is not of finite measure, but it is the union of a countable sequence of measurable sets of finite measure ##X_n## (which we can suppose such that ##X_1\subset X_2\subset ...##): if ##\varphi## is Lebesgue integrable on ##X## and ##\forall x\in X\quad|f(x)|\leq\varphi(x)## then ##f## is Lebesgue integrable on ##X##.

Given the http://librarum.org/book/10022/159 [Broken] of Lebesgue integral ##\int_X g(x)d\mu:=\lim_n \int_{X_n}g(x)d\mu## for such a measure space, I know, from the property above for ##X_n## such that ##\mu(X_n)<\infty##, that if ##\int_{X_n}\varphi(x)d\mu## exists then ##\int_{X_n}f(x)d\mu## also exists, but how can we know that if ##\lim_n\int_{X_n}\varphi(x)d\mu## exists then ##\lim_n\int_{X_n}f(x)d\mu## exists?
    ##\infty## thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't worked out the details, but I suspect you should work with the integral of φ over Xm-Xn for m>n. This -> 0 as m and n become infinite. Since |f| ≤ φ, the integral of f over the same domain will also -> 0 under the same condition.

4. Oct 17, 2014 #3
    Thank you so much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook