1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifing a vector from all Lp norms ?

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    identifing a vector from all Lp norms....?

Hey fellows,

If I have all the [tex]L_p[/tex] norms for all p in natural numbers or positive reals of a function from real to real, can I identify the function up to some equivalence relation (such as permutation of the ) assuming the function has a finite [tex]L_0[/tex] norm?

The discrete version of this question would be: can I identify a vector [tex]x \in \mathbb{R}^N[/tex] given all the [tex]l_p[/tex] norms defined as follows:
    [tex]
    l_p(x) = \left(\sum_i^N |x_i|^p \right)^{\frac{1}{p}}
    [/tex]
    It is apparent from the equation that the permutation of a vector will result in the same norm.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would seem that you can at most hope to identify the absolute values of the vector elements.

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    For the discrete case at least you can try visualising surfaces of constant norm. Constant L_1 norm gives hyperplanes. Constant L_2 norm gives hyperspheres. Constant L_inf gives a box. So increasing p gradually pushes the surface outwards. Notice that the surfaces all have a line of symmetry going through x_0=x_1=x_2=... I'm not entirely sure, but my intuition says that yes, you can work out the absolute value of the components up to a permutation of them.

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    Yes, my intuition also says so. But I cannot prove it!!
    The geometric picture helps in low dimensions, but I am having great trouble imagining N-1 hyperstructures intersecting with each other....

If you have any reference to the literature, it would be very helpful.

6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    Counter example

I found a counter example in the continuous case.
    A exponential function and a piecewise-patched Laplacian distribution function has the same L-alpha norm, and you can make them have the same range [0, [tex]\infty[/tex]].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?