Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Identifying structures in brain MRI

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    Hello all, experts and otherwise. I'm looking for some links to software and documentation for selecting Regions of Interest (ROI) in MRI data of the human brain. Saving ROIs is a must. Any tips also appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

ROI is the acronym for "Return on Investment".

Perhaps you should explain what you are looking for and why.

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    I don't know how good this software is but it looks interesting.

http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/~oakes/spam/help_BrainMaker.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Jun 19, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ah, they do use ROI as an acronym. I've been using the term for over 30 years.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5
    That's what google says as well

We currently have two groups of subjects. Between subjects the data is similar but not quite the same. We can make comparison for the entire brain.... but we also want to compare only within certain brain structures.

It would be ideal to have the ROIs in electronic format. We basically have lots of data. There's literally hundreds of images. But (I think) we would only need to get the ROIs once or twice.

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6
  8. Jun 20, 2010 #7

rhody

Gold Member

SWV,

I was wondering if you would know where I could find a latest series of brain maps for where the five senses, sight, sound, hearing, touch, taste "normally" are thought to be processed in the brain. I have unsuccessfully tried on and off for weeks to find a link or links that cover them. They would be helpful in the "synesthesia" thread as I have further deepened my understanding of this really cool phenomenon. Thanks...

Rhody... :cool:

P.S.

Wo0p,

Have a look at these two posts: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2747466&postcount=220" in the synesthesia thread, there is some good MRI background here that may be of interest to you.

9. Jun 20, 2010 #8
    Here's a source that might suit your needs. There's a lot of 3D software on the net for sale, but you won't find much for free.

http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/28/7/1421

You're probably familiar with the sensory homunculus. I had a link, but I lost it. You can easily find that however.

EDIT: My personal interests tend more toward neurochemistry (transmitters, receptors, etc), and less toward functional anatomy.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook