Identifying Substance Z Using Titration Method: Results and Analysis"

• Thread starter paulhunn
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the process of titrating a solution containing Z2CO3 using HCl and the resulting calculations to determine the molar weight of Z. The method used is deemed to be correct, but the error in the final result being 3g off from potassium is considered to be too large.
paulhunn
Hi

I have been set the following problem. Z2CO3(aq)+2HCl(aq) -> 2ZCl(aq) + CO2(g) + H2o(l)

We did the experiment in class to find the amount of HCl it would take to titrate the soloution. First by measuring an amount of Z2CO3 and dissolving it into 250cm^3 of water and using methl orange indicator to know when the reaction had taken place. We did this three times using 25cm^3 samples and i got a mean titre of 26.8cm^3
We are told that it is a group one element and the concentration of the HCl is 0.1
So using the formula M=number of moles/volume in dm^3 i rearranged and got 0.1*0.0268=2.68*10^-3 meaning that it would be 2.68*10^-2 for the entire soloution.
Knowing it will take 2 moles of HCl to react one mole of substance Z it would mean there was 1.134*10^-2 moles of substance Z in the 250ml soloution and knowing the original mass that was dissolved (1.5g) i can use the formula weight(g)/number of moles=molar weight which gave me 132.275g. Then knowing that the rest of substance Z is CO3 i can subtract their weights (12+16+16+16) which gives 72.275 and then halfing to find the molar weight of Z (because in the formula we have Z2) we get 36.1375. which is relatively close to potassium.

Does my method follow correctly?
And is the 3g that i am off from potassium enough to say there was a significant error in working or is it ok?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
Approach is correct, error is too large for my liking (but it was very likely potassium as you think).

--

Ok thanks Borek

1. What is Substance Z?

Substance Z is a chemical compound that has unique physical and chemical properties. It is often referred to as a "mystery substance" because its exact composition and characteristics are not yet fully understood.

2. How do you identify Substance Z?

The identification of Substance Z involves conducting a series of experiments and tests to determine its physical and chemical properties. These include analyzing its melting and boiling points, solubility, and reaction with other substances.

3. What are the potential uses of Substance Z?

Since the properties of Substance Z are still being studied, its potential uses are not yet fully known. However, based on its unique characteristics, it could have applications in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and manufacturing.

4. Is Substance Z safe for human consumption?

The safety of Substance Z for human consumption has not been determined yet. It is important to conduct thorough testing and research before considering using it for any purpose, including consumption.

5. What are the challenges in identifying Substance Z?

Identifying Substance Z can be challenging due to its unknown composition and properties. It may require advanced equipment and techniques, as well as extensive research and testing, to fully understand this substance.