Identifying which region of a conductor experiences the greater force

In summary, the third option has the greatest magnetic force because it has the strongest current loop.
ellieee
Homework Statement
using newton's third law of motion, suggest whether region K,L,M, or N has a greater magnetic force
Relevant Equations
nil
I feel that its M because as the conductor moves upwards, towards K, an equal but opposite force will be produced at M to pull the conductor downwards, but answer is K.

Attachments

• 16253163523873644178136613189803.jpg
    16253163523873644178136613189803.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 84
Physics news on Phys.org
ellieee said:
Homework Statement:: using Newton's third law of motion, suggest whether region K,L,M, or N has a greater magnetic force
Relevant Equations:: nil

I feel that its M because as the conductor moves upwards, towards K, an equal but opposite force will be produced at M to pull the conductor downwards, but answer is K.
Hi @ellieee. I think there are two faults in the question.

1) The shape/configuration of the conductor is unclear. The circle shown could be:
- a cross-section through a single straight wire;
- a loop of thin wire;
- a cross-section through a wire which is part of a bigger loop (not shown).
I’ll assume the 3rd option is correct.

2) The question asks where the ‘magnetic force’ is greatest; but I think it means magnetic field (or the question doesn’t make sense).

As the conductor moves upwards, I agree there is a downwards force it. I think the easiest way to explain the direction of this force is to use Lenz’s law. You can think of the force as arising due to the interaction of the magnet’s field and the field from the induced current.

I suggest you study this: https://physicsmax.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/1533.jpg
Remember the stronger a magnetic field, the closer-together are the field lines. Then you should be able to complete the questions.

Steve4Physics said:
- a cross-section through a single straight wire;
- a loop of thin wire;
- a cross-section through a wire which is part of a bigger loop (not shown).
how are these 3 options different?

ellieee said:
how are these 3 options different?
The first option is a single straight rod perpendicular to the plane of the diagram. (Which means there is no circuit-path for current to flow through the rod.)

The second option is a ring (like you wear on your finger) lying in the plane of the diagram.

The third option is a complete loop (e.g. a square loop) perpendicular to the plane of the the diagram but with only one section of the loop actually inside the field, a bit like this:
https://study.com/cimages/multimages/16/es24796088383046639450301.png

I'm pretty sure they mean the third option, but it's only an educated guess.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of force in the context of a conductor?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects or systems. In the context of a conductor, force refers to the push or pull exerted on the conductor by an external magnetic field.

2. How does a conductor experience force?

A conductor experiences force when it is placed in a magnetic field. The magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particles within the conductor, causing them to move and creating an electric current.

3. What factors determine the magnitude of the force experienced by a conductor?

The magnitude of the force experienced by a conductor depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the conductor, the current flowing through the conductor, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field.

4. How do you determine which region of a conductor experiences the greater force?

To determine which region of a conductor experiences the greater force, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction your palm is facing indicates the direction of the force, with the greater force being experienced in the region where your palm is facing.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the force on a conductor?

Understanding the force on a conductor is crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also essential in the development of technologies like magnetic levitation trains and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.