Need Help with IDL? Check Out These Tutorial Recommendations!

• Thread starter liesandcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutorial
In summary: Thanks for the response, I ended up using a combination of Excelis and trial and error but I'm off my feet and running now!
liesandcake
Hey everyone,

I just recently started working with a professor at my school who does a lot of programming in IDL (by ITT Visual Information Systems). I am new to the program/language, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good tutorial which goes over compiling and running .pro files. I'm having a hard time getting a very simple file I've written to go through.

Also, if anyone is experienced in IDL and willing to provide help here and there please PM me. I'm going to be doing a lot of data analysis (including Fourier Transform Spectroscopy) and I could use some friends that are familiar with IDL.

Thanks a lot,

-Dylan

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey Dylan,
Did anyone ever get back to you about this? I'm in a remarkably similar situation. I start undergraduate research in a couple days using IDL and I have ZERO experience with the language. My background in programming is pretty weak as is so I am trying to consume as much material on IDL as possible before Tuesday!
Thanks in advance

MathPhysFanatic said:
Hey Dylan,
Did anyone ever get back to you about this? I'm in a remarkably similar situation. I start undergraduate research in a couple days using IDL and I have ZERO experience with the language. My background in programming is pretty weak as is so I am trying to consume as much material on IDL as possible before Tuesday!
Thanks in advance
You're the first person to post in this thread for more than 5 years, so I doubt that anyone got back to the OP here. I did a search and found Excelis as apparently being the company that owns this technology now. Here's a link to some documentation, programming, and resources - http://www.exelisvis.com/docs/home.html.

Mark44 said:
You're the first person to post in this thread for more than 5 years, so I doubt that anyone got back to the OP here. I did a search and found Excelis as apparently being the company that owns this technology now. Here's a link to some documentation, programming, and resources - http://www.exelisvis.com/docs/home.html.
Thanks for the response, I ended up using a combination of Excelis and trial and error but I'm off my feet and running now!

1. What is IDL?

IDL stands for Interactive Data Language, and it is a programming language used for data analysis and visualization in scientific research.

2. Why is it important to learn IDL?

IDL is commonly used in many scientific fields, such as astronomy, geology, and climate science, to analyze and visualize large datasets. Learning IDL can greatly enhance a scientist's ability to work with these datasets and perform complex data analysis.

3. Are there any resources available for learning IDL?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning IDL, including online tutorials, workshops, and textbooks. Some universities also offer courses on IDL as part of their curriculum.

4. What are some recommended tutorials for learning IDL?

Some popular tutorials for learning IDL include the official IDL documentation, the IDL programming guide, and online tutorials from universities and research institutions such as the University of Colorado and the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR).

5. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to learn IDL?

While prior programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn IDL. The language has a user-friendly syntax and many resources available for beginners, making it accessible to scientists with little or no programming background.