Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IDL Tutorial Recommendations

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    Hey everyone,

I just recently started working with a professor at my school who does a lot of programming in IDL (by ITT Visual Information Systems). I am new to the program/language, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good tutorial which goes over compiling and running .pro files. I'm having a hard time getting a very simple file I've written to go through.

Also, if anyone is experienced in IDL and willing to provide help here and there please PM me. I'm going to be doing a lot of data analysis (including Fourier Transform Spectroscopy) and I could use some friends that are familiar with IDL.

Thanks a lot,

-Dylan

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2015 #2
    Hey Dylan,
    Did anyone ever get back to you about this? I'm in a remarkably similar situation. I start undergraduate research in a couple days using IDL and I have ZERO experience with the language. My background in programming is pretty weak as is so I am trying to consume as much material on IDL as possible before Tuesday!
    Thanks in advance

4. May 17, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're the first person to post in this thread for more than 5 years, so I doubt that anyone got back to the OP here. I did a search and found Excelis as apparently being the company that owns this technology now. Here's a link to some documentation, programming, and resources - http://www.exelisvis.com/docs/home.html.

5. Jun 2, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the response, I ended up using a combination of Excelis and trial and error but I'm off my feet and running now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook