If A, B are n order square matrices, and AB=0, then BA=0?

In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove or find a counter example for the statement that if A and B are square matrices of the same order, then if AB = 0, then BA = 0. The conversation also mentioned using software like sagemath to solve for B in the equation AB = 0, but it was noted that this may lead to incorrect conclusions. It was suggested to instead come up with a counter example to disprove the statement.
Portuga

Homework Statement

If A and B are square matrices of same order, prove of find a counter example that if AB = 0 then BA = 0.

Homework Equations

[tex]A^{-1} A = I_n, ABC = (AB)C [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] AB = 0 \Rightarrow A^{-1} A B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow (A^{-1} A) B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow I_n B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow B = 0 \Rightarrow BA = 0A = 0. [/tex]
I am not pretty sure if this procedure really solve the problem, so I would like some advices...
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Portuga said:

Homework Statement

If A and B are square matrices of same order, prove of find a counter example that if AB = 0 then BA = 0.

Homework Equations

[tex]A^{-1} A = I_n, ABC = (AB)C [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] AB = 0 \Rightarrow A^{-1} A B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow (A^{-1} A) B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow I_n B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow B = A^{-1} 0 \Rightarrow B = 0 \Rightarrow BA = 0A = 0. [/tex]
I am not pretty sure if this procedure really solve the problem, so I would like some advices...
Thanks in advance.

You cannot assume that ##A^{-1}## exists. Some nonzero ##n \times n## matrices do not have inverses.

Ok. I was using sagemath to make some reasonings. So I put there a generic 2x2 A matrix,
[tex] \begin{bmatrix} x & y\\ z & t \end{bmatrix} [/tex]
and solved AB = 0 for B. The software answered that the only solution is a null matrix. That's why I am trying to prove it. Did I miss something?

Portuga said:
Ok. I was using sagemath to make some reasonings. So I put there a generic 2x2 A matrix,
and solved AB = 0 for B. The software answered that the only solution is a null matrix. That's why I am trying to prove it. Did I miss something?

What about
$$A = \pmatrix{1&1\\1&1}, \: B = \pmatrix{1 & -2 \\-1 & 2} ? $$
Do we have ##AB = 0##? Is ##A \neq 0##? Is ##B \neq 0##?

Ray Vickson said:
What about
$$A = \pmatrix{1&1\\1&1}, \: B = \pmatrix{1 & -2 \\-1 & 2} ? $$
Do we have ##AB = 0##? Is ##A \neq 0##? Is ##B \neq 0##?

You should AVOID using software like sagemath or whatever when you are learning the subject. In this case the answers it gives you may be highly misleading, and may cause you to "learn" things that are actually false.

Portuga said:

I think what you found there was that the 0 matrix is the only matrix, ##X##, for which:

For all matrices ##A## we have ##AX = 0##

Ok, I got the point. So, I should make a counter example. Thanks!

Portuga said:
Ok, I got the point. So, I should make a counter example. Thanks!
Let us know what you come up with.

1. What is the significance of the statement "If A, B are n order square matrices, and AB=0, then BA=0"?

This statement is known as the commutative property of matrix multiplication, which states that the order of multiplication does not affect the result when multiplying square matrices.

2. Is this statement true for all values of n?

Yes, this statement is true for all values of n. It is a fundamental property of matrix multiplication.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this property?

Sure. Consider the following matrices:

A = [1 0 0] and B = [0 1 0]

When we multiply AB, we get the zero matrix [0 0 0]. However, when we multiply BA, we also get the zero matrix [0 0 0], showing that the order of multiplication does not affect the result.

4. How is this property useful in practical applications?

This property is useful in simplifying complicated matrix equations and in solving linear systems of equations. It also allows us to apply matrix operations in any order, which can be more efficient in certain situations.

5. Is this property unique to square matrices?

No, this property is not unique to square matrices. It also holds for rectangular matrices as long as the dimensions are compatible for multiplication (i.e. the number of columns in the first matrix must equal the number of rows in the second matrix).