Proving a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, is equal to 1

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the goal is to show that a given equation holds true under certain conditions. The participants share their attempts at solving the problem, with one suggesting a potential hint and another providing a possible approach. Ultimately, a solution is reached through a combination of algebraic manipulations and substitution. The conversation reflects on the difficulty of the problem and expresses interest in finding a quicker method. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and intricacy of mathematical problem-solving.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
If ##a+b+c=0##, show that ##\boxed{\frac{a^2}{2a^2+bc}+\frac{b^2}{2b^2+ca}+\frac{c^2}{2c^2+ab}=1}##
Relevant Equations
1. If ##a+b+c=0##, then ##a^2+2ab+b^2=c^2##
2. If ##a+b+c=0##, then ##a^2+b^2+c^2=-2(ab+bc+ca)## (not sure how useful this would be)
1643111116160.png
Problem statement :
I copy and paste the statement of the problem from the text.
(Given ##\boldsymbol{a+b+c=0}##)

Attempt : I am afraid I couldn't make any meaningful progress. With ##a = -(b+c)##, I substituted for ##a## in the whole of the L.H.S, both numerators and denominators. I multiplied the denominators and multiplied the numerators by the "other" denominators, much as we would do for the case ##\dfrac{A}{X}+\dfrac{B}{Y}+\dfrac{C}{Z} = \dfrac{AYZ+BZX+CXY}{XYZ}##. That gave me three terms with sizable numbers of terms in the numerator and denominator, ranging from ##b^6\rightarrow c^6## and terms of decreasing and increasing powers of ##b,c## respectively in them. It was clumsy and tedious, not to mention that I didn't obtain the answer 1 due to what must be an error somewhere. I am certain there must be a better way to do the problem.

Request : Not having done my fair share, I would be happy for the barest of hints in the right direction to get me going.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like ##(a+b+c)^2=a^2+b^2+c^2+2ab+2ac+2bc## could be of help. Those problems usually need a tricky algebraic rephrasing, e.g. by considering ##(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)## instead.

If I see that 1+1-2=0 and then the first term (your A/X) does not exist, it seems to me you haven' t given us the complete problem statement.

## \ ##

Last edited:
And I don' see 6th powers emerging ?

BvU said:
If I see that 1+1-2=0 and then the first term ( your X) does not exist, it seems to me you haven' t given us the complete problem statement.

## \ ##

Please see Problem 16 below taken from the text.

1643195186327.png

BvU said:
And I don' see 6th powers emerging ?

1643195281713.png

I don't know how clear it is. You will see terms like ##-4b^6## and ##-2c^6## in the last line.

brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement:: If ##a+b+c=0##, show that ##\boxed{\frac{a^2}{2a^2+bc}+\frac{b^2}{2b^2+ca}+\frac{c^2}{2c^2+ab}=1}##
Relevant Equations:: 1. If ##a+b+c=0##, then ##a^2+2ab+b^2=c^2##
2. If ##a+b+c=0##, then ##a^2+b^2+c^2=-2(ab+bc+ca)## (not sure how useful this would be)

View attachment 296002Problem statement : I copy and paste the statement of the problem from the text.
(Given ##\boldsymbol{a+b+c=0}##)

Attempt : I am afraid I couldn't make any meaningful progress. With ##a = -(b+c)##, I substituted for ##a## in the whole of the L.H.S, both numerators and denominators. I multiplied the denominators and multiplied the numerators by the "other" denominators, much as we would do for the case ##\dfrac{A}{X}+\dfrac{B}{Y}+\dfrac{C}{Z} = \dfrac{AYZ+BZX+CXY}{XYZ}##. That gave me three terms with sizable numbers of terms in the numerator and denominator, ranging from ##b^6\rightarrow c^6## and terms of decreasing and increasing powers of ##b,c## respectively in them. It was clumsy and tedious, not to mention that I didn't obtain the answer 1 due to what must be an error somewhere. I am certain there must be a better way to do the problem.

Request : Not having done my fair share, I would be happy for the barest of hints in the right direction to get me going.
Well, that's just plain nasty. I'm only commenting to follow.

brotherbobby said:
Please see Problem 16 below taken from the text.

View attachment 296041
View attachment 296042

I don't know how clear it is. You will see terms like ##-4b^6## and ##-2c^6## in the last line.
I think you have to be a bit smarter. I took ##c = -(a + b)##. And took the third term over to the RHS. I.e. show that $$A + B = 1 - C$$It then looked easier to invert the two fractions and show that $$\frac{1}{A + B} = \frac 1 {1-C}$$That got rid of some factors and the rest was not too bad.

I can't see a quick and easy way to do it, although there must be one.

Likes valenumr
PeroK said:
I think you have to be a bit smarter. I took ##c = -(a + b)##. And took the third term over to the RHS. I.e. show that $$A + B = 1 - C$$It then looked easier to invert the two fractions and show that $$\frac{1}{A + B} = \frac 1 {1-C}$$That got rid of some factors and the rest was not too bad.

It almost seems like the pattern of the equation suggests a "trick".

brotherbobby said:
Ah, it's because of the substitution of ##a##, is suppose

What about ##(a,b,c)=(1,1,-2) ## that has ##a+b+c=0## but no ##a^2 \over 2a^2+bc## as far as I can tell ?

I must be wrong, because here it gets a result of ##1##, too !

Anyway,
brotherbobby said:
Not having done my fair share
I'd say you definitely have done your fair share !

##\ ##

My path of least resistance was to work out your ##AYZ+BZX+CXY=XYZ## starting with the LHS :$$\begin{align*}
&a^2(2b^2+ca)(2c^2+ab)+b^2(2a^2+bc)(2c^2+ab)+c^2(2a^2+bc)(2b^2+ca)\quad=\\
&a^2(4b^2c^2+2b^3a+2c^3a+a^bc) \quad+\\
&b^2(4a^2c^2+2a^3b+2c^3b+ab^2c)+\quad\\
&c^2(4a^2b^2+2a^3c+2b^3c+abc^2)\qquad=\\
&12a^2b^2c^2+4b^3a^3+4c^3a^3+4c^3b^3+a^4bc+b^4ac+c^4ab\end{align*}
$$and for the RHS: XYZ=$$\begin{align*}
&(2a^2+bc)(2b^2+ca)(2c^2+ab)\quad=\\
&(2a^2+bc)(4b^2c^2+2c^3a+2b^3a+a^2bc)\quad=\\
&8a^2b^2c^2 + 4c^3a^3 + 4b^3a^3 + 2a^4bc\quad + \\
&\qquad 4b^3c^3 + 2abc^4 + 2b^4ac + a^2b^2c^2\end{align*}
$$Remove equal terms left and right and collect to get LHS=RHS##\Leftrightarrow## $$
\begin{align*}
3a^2b^2c^2 &=a^4bc+b^4ac+c^4ab\\
3abc&=a^3+b^3+c^3
\end{align*}
$$now it seems a good time to substitute ##a=-(b+c)\Rightarrow a^3 = -(b^3+3b^2c+3bc^2+c^3) ## :$$
\begin{align*}
-3(b+c)bc &\stackrel{?}{=} -(b+c)^3 +b^3+c^3 \\

-3b^2c-3bc^2 &\stackrel{?}{=} -3b^2c-3bc^2
\end{align*}$$which concludes things.

But it's brute force and dumb work, so I sure look forward to seeing the quickest way !

Nevertheless, nice exercise (apart from the ##(1,1,-2)#3 and such :smile: ) !

##\ ##

Likes PeroK
Here's an idea. Still messy, but the best I can do. All of these steps are backwards implications (or "enough to show"):
$$\frac{a^2}{2a^2 +bc} + \frac{b^2}{2b^2 +ac} = \frac{c^2 + ab}{2c^2 +ab}$$Now invert both sides:
$$\Leftarrow \ \frac{(2a^2 +bc)(2b^2 + ac)}{a^2(2b^2 +ac) + b^2(2b^2 +bc)} = \frac{2c^2 + ab}{c^2 +ab}$$$$\Leftarrow \ \frac{4a^2b^2 + 2c(a^3 + b^3) + abc^2}{4a^2b^2 + c(a^3 + b^3)} = 1 + \frac{c^2}{c^2 +ab}$$$$\Leftarrow \ 1 + \frac{c(a^3 + b^3) + abc^2}{4a^2b^2 + c(a^3 + b^3)} = 1 + \frac{c^2}{c^2 +ab}$$Cancel the ##1## and invert again!
$$\Leftarrow \ \frac{4a^2b^2 + c(a^3 + b^3)}{c(a^3 + b^3) + abc^2} = \frac{c^2 +ab}{c^2}$$$$\Leftarrow \ 1 + \frac{ab(4ab - c^2)}{c(a^3 + b^3) + abc^2} = 1 + \frac{ab}{c^2}$$$$\Leftarrow \ \frac{(4ab - c^2)}{c(a^3 + b^3) + abc^2} = \frac{1}{c^2}$$$$\Leftarrow \ c(4ab - c^2)= a^3 + b^3 + abc$$And, finally, we set ##c = -(a + b)## to confirm that last equality

Likes BvU
PeroK said:

I see now. It looks much nicer substituting for c = (-a -b) in all the denominators and factoring them.

I have bad news. I have been trying to splve using @PeroK 's solution earlier above (post #7). I used ##c=-(a+b)## on both sides and reduced both L.H.S and R.H.S exactly as asked but am stuck.

Attempt : I present my attempt below. I hope it's readable.

1643388764725.png

A help at the last step would be welcome.

• Sad
Likes PeroK
See post #10, where I did some fancy footwork to simplify the two sides!

PeroK said:
See post #10, where I did some fancy footwork to simplify the two sides!
Yes @PeroK - I was trying not to see it and do it myself. I am afraid that I am now forced to take more of your help.

Likes PeroK
brotherbobby said:
Yes @PeroK - I was trying not to see it and do it myself. I am afraid that I am now forced to take more of your help.
I only substituted for c in the denominators, and then factored those denominators. It resulted in three common factors, so it became really basic algebra after that, something like (2a² + b), (2b² + a), and (a - b) as factors, IIRC. I did later substitute c² as a late step before expanding everything else to show both sides were equal. It was only like five or six steps, and the expansion had cubic terms.

Quick edit: I'm just going from memory, but I don't think now that any factors had a square term, actually I'm pretty certain, so just ignore the squares.

Ok. I would like to "close" this thread by doing the problem in an elegant manner. While @PeroK 's method in post #10 above did the job, a look through websites has told me that there is an elegant method to solve the problem. Additionally, I will post a second problem which can be solved by the same technique.

Original problem statement : If ##a+b+c=0##, show that $$\boxed{\frac{a^2}{2a^2+bc}+\frac{b^2}{2b^2+ca}+\frac{c^2}{2c^2+ab}=1}$$

Attempt :

Since ##a+b+c=0##, anyone of the variables is equal to "negative" of the sum of the other two.

##\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\text{L.H.S}& = \frac{a^2}{2a^2+bc}+\frac{b^2}{2b^2+ca}+\frac{c^2}{2c^2+ab}\\
& = \frac{a^2}{a^2-a(b+c)+bc}+\frac{b^2}{b^2-b(c+a)+ca}+\frac{c^2}{c^2-c(a+b)+ab}\\
& = \frac{a^2}{a^2-ab-ac+bc}+\frac{b^2}{b^2-bc-ab+ca)}+\frac{c^2}{c^2-ca-bc+ab}\\
& = -\left[\frac{a^2}{(a-b)(c-a)}+-\frac{b^2}{(a-b)(b-c)}+-\frac{c^2}{(b-c)(c-a)}\right]\\
& = - \left[\frac{a^2(b-c)+b^2(c-a)+c^2(a-b)}{(a-b)(c-a)(c-a)}\right]^{\mathbf{\Large *}}\\
& = \boxed{1}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}##

##\mathbf{\Large{{}^*}}## One of a series of results we have been familiar from school, which I copy and paste below. Of course they can be derived. Our equation of interest is the second in the list.

1644326163312.png
Problem Statement (New) : If ##a+b+c=0##, show that ##\dfrac{1}{2a^2+bc}+\dfrac{1}{2b^2+ca}+\dfrac{1}{2c^2+ab}=0##

Solution : It can be solved via the same method as above. The numerator can be shown to vanish.

Likes Delta2
Apologies if this repeats what others have said, but in terms I hope makes the calculation look less heavy. And apologies for being so late - but you are asked (#5) to shew this result, not to show it, which shows the question was first asked more than a century ago.

The ∑ notation for symmetric products economises somewhat the calculation and writing out the denominator:

##D = 8a^2b^2c^2 + 4∑a^3b^3 +2∑a^4bc + a^2b^2c^2##

##= 9(abc)^2 + 4∑(ab)^3 +2∑a^4bc ##. .

For the numerator we have more economy:

##N = ∑a^2(2b^2 + ac)(2c^2 + ab)##

##= ∑4abc + 2∑a^3(b^3 + c^3) + ∑a^4bc##

##= 12(abc)^2 + 4∑(ab)^3 + ∑a^4bc##

(You have to be careful about the numerical coefficients this type of calculation.)

N/D = 1 is (N - D) = 0

We have from the above

N - D = ##3(abc)^2 - Σa^4bc##

This has factor ##abc## and so we are left to show that a factor of the rest
##3abc - Σa^3##
is ##Σa = 0## which does not look very difficult though hardly obvious.

Write it out

##3abc - (a^3 + b^3 + c^3)##

##= 3abc - [ a^3 +b^3 - (a + b)^3]##

##= 3abc - [a^3 + b^3 - (a^3 + 3a^2b +3ab^2 +b^3)]##

## = 3( abc + a^2b + ab^2)##

## = 3ab(c + a + b) ##

as required.

Last edited:

1. How do you prove that a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, is equal to 1?

To prove that a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, is equal to 1, we can use the method of mathematical induction. First, we need to show that the statement is true for a specific value of n. Then, we assume that the statement is true for n=k and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n=k+1. This will complete the proof by showing that the statement is true for all values of n.

2. What are the three terms that are squared in the sum?

The three terms that are squared in the sum are #a#, #b#, and #c#.

3. Can you provide an example of a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, that is equal to 1?

Yes, an example of a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, that is equal to 1 is #(a^2 + b^2 + c^2)^n = 1#, where n is any positive integer.

4. What is the significance of proving a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, is equal to 1?

Proving a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, is equal to 1 has several applications in mathematics, particularly in algebra and number theory. It can be used to solve equations and inequalities involving cyclic sums, and it also has implications in geometry and physics.

5. Are there any other methods besides mathematical induction that can be used to prove a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, is equal to 1?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove a sum of three squared terms, cyclic in #a,b,c#, is equal to 1, such as the method of contradiction or direct proof. However, mathematical induction is often the most efficient and widely used method for such proofs.