Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a Portal appeared in front of you, would you step through it?

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    Imagine someday when you're going about your daily life, a Portal suddenly appears in front of you.. HOW SHOCKING!! I mean, who knows how it happened - maybe an Alien civilization 1.5 billion years more advanced than us, accidently created this portal in a wrong time/space/dimension, and you're probably the first and last human being ever to witness this miraculous event.

Now, you can't see beyond the portal because it's fuzzy, it's about 10 feet round but slowly shrinking.. so you don't have much time to decide. My question is: Would You Jump Through it? Would you leave behind your life, love ones, and basically EVERYTHING you know to experience this once in an eternity wonder that might take you to the far flung future or ancient past, or it might reveal ALL the mysteries of the universe, or land you in a strange universe.

Would you risk it all on a moments notice? Or would you be content to stay on earth, live out your life and hope that one day another will pop up.. and let other people study it first, which is probably NEVER.

I'd like to hear all your responses and I'll tell you mine [although I'm sure you would have guess what I'd do!]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is why I always carry a homing pigeon (preferably one that speaks good English) in my wallet.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  4. Feb 21, 2009 #3
    hehe, you're not the only one! I actually call myself a Slider :biggrin: Hi Slider, you too! :tongue2:

Yes, and the English Dictionary is important too, 'cause mainly all the Aliens speak it.. I also have in my possession THHGTTG (the Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy) :biggrin:

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I've never been into traveling.

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Can we assume there's some way we could know it was a Portal (reasonably safe to enter), rather than e.g. an intergalactic garbage disposal unit?

7. Feb 21, 2009 #6
    I would throw rocks and sticks at it, and maybe do a odd dance.

8. Feb 21, 2009 #7
    I looked over some search results at irs.gov. Alas, I can find no deductions for portal related travel.

So, no.

9. Feb 21, 2009 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have actually thought about this since it was a scenario in a few sci-fi/fantasy books I've read.

If the portal was noticeably "shrinking" so it would be safe to assume it was a one way trip. No.

On the other hand, a stable portal would just be too enticing not to at least test it by sticking roaches into it and seeing if they could be pulled back alive. Using a camera on a wand or even one of those camera robots, possibly equipped with a quantum cascade laser to test the atmosphere would be good.

10. Feb 21, 2009 #9
    Evo,don't rule out the funky dancing part either .

11. Feb 21, 2009 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, that's a given! :biggrin:

12. Feb 21, 2009 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alas, not only could I find no deductions for portal related travel, it turns out that over half of the other deductions I though I could claim don't actually exist in this universe. My argument that they may exist in a parallel universe seems to have the flotation properties of a stone.

I would have no choice but to step through in search of a parallel universe that will allow my many deductions.

13. Feb 21, 2009 #12
    I definitely would not jump in today.

However, when I was in my early 20's > LOL it's very possible I would have shouted "seee yaa" and/or told one of my friends "follow me" as I jumped in head first.

Today, I'd try to find a camera to document and try doing something similar to what Evo described.

14. Feb 21, 2009 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Being an American, I would of course start firing my machine gun into the portal immediately after seeing the first tentacle appear.

15. Feb 21, 2009 #14
    Nope, you can NOT know where the portal leads to! that's the point of it all... and remember - it's shrinking by the second! so, would you take the risk and jump through it? :approve:

16. Feb 21, 2009 #15
    I'd jump through it for sure, it's a once in million lifetime opportunity, and yes I am young! :) I'm hoping by the time I reach the other side, trillions of Aliens will be there to greet me with waving flags.. and enlighten me on the mysteries of the universe YAY! I'll be the first human to ever make contact, and then of course they will take me home later on. :))

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  17. Feb 21, 2009 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't count on the "take me home" bit. I'm still waiting for Tweety and Nibbles to return. I even tied my good camera to Tweety's neck before throwing her through. Now I wish I'd at least saved the tripod for myself.

18. Feb 21, 2009 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a cookbook :surprised !

19. Feb 21, 2009 #18
    What kind of contact?

20. Feb 21, 2009 #19
    I think the only logical first step to take in such a situation is to slowly sneak back two steps, very quietly step to the side, and then push the guy in front of you into the portal.

21. Feb 21, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once helped to put on a space summer camp for Cub Scouts. It's a long story, but in the end we had these kids pumped for the appearance of an alien spacecraft, which I was glad to provide using a weather balloon [a big one!] disguised as a mother ship, flashing lights, etc. As the mother ship rose [controlled by fish lines that Tsu and I held in secret], I looked up to see a wall of almost 100 kids running madly across the field to see the ship. They were out of control!!! It was hilarious.

It took a better part of a half hour to find the three kids that ran the other direction. We all concluded that this was a good example of Darwinism at work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook