If I had ((9-8.8))/8.8 how many sig figs would my answer have

• Thread starter billabuwl50
  • Start date
In summary, the number of significant figures in the answer to ((9-8.8))/8.8 would depend on whether the "9" is a measured quantity or counted. If it is measured, the answer would have one significant figure, as the result would be 0. If it is counted, the answer would have two significant figures, as the result would be 0.023 or 2.3 x 10^-2. Sig figs are typically only used in high school and rarely in other fields, such as chemistry.
billabuwl50

Mathematics news on Phys.org
billabuwl50 said:
Only one sig fig. Since 9-8.8 = 0. and 0./8.8 = 0.

On a side note: sig figs are really funny. You use 'em in high school but you never really use 'em afterwards (OK, maybe in chemistry but that's it).

Last edited:
Sig figs were my least favorite part of physics.

Is the "9" a measured quantity or counted? If measured, then the fact that you only give one figure means it has only one significant figure- it could be anywhere between 8.5 and 9.5. If counted, then it is exact and can have any number of significant figures.

In the first case, as swapnil said, it is (9- 9)/8.8= 0

In the second, (9.0- 8.8)/8.8= 0.2/8.8= 0.023 (or, better, 2.3 x 10-2. The result has 2 significant figures because the "measured quanities", the "8.8"s have 2 significant figures.

1. What is a sig fig?

A sig fig, or significant figure, is a digit in a number that contributes to its precision. It tells us how certain or uncertain a measurement or calculation is.

2. Why is it important to consider sig figs in calculations?

Sig figs help us maintain consistency and accuracy in calculations. They also convey the level of precision in our answer and help avoid errors or misconceptions.

3. How do I determine the number of sig figs in a number?

The general rule is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between them. For example, in the number 123.045, there are 6 sig figs. The zeros at the end are significant because they are after a decimal point. However, in the number 100, there is only 1 sig fig because the zeros are placeholders.

4. What happens to sig figs in a division or multiplication?

In division or multiplication, the result should have the same number of sig figs as the number with the least amount of sig figs in the calculation. For example, if you divide 6.4 by 2.0, the result should have 2 sig figs because 2.0 has 2 sig figs.

5. How many sig figs would my answer have if I had ((9-8.8))/8.8?

The answer would have 2 sig figs since both 9 and 8.8 have 2 sig figs. Even though the calculation results in a more precise answer, we can only report as many sig figs as the least precise number in the calculation.