If I want to learn about tensor mathematics - where do I need to start

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mtc1973
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematics Tensor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mtc1973
Messages
112
Reaction score
1
If I want to learn about tensor mathematics - where do I need to start (i.e. what precursory mathematical knowledge will I need) and does anyone have any good site/book recommendations?

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


This is what I often recommend --
https://www.amazon.com/dp/048661879X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you don't already have any, then you'll need to have some background in linear algebra (and for starting tensors, you'll also need familiarity with calculus in Rn space (multivariable calculus)). This book covers the multivariable calculus, but you'll need to learn linear algebra from some other source.
 
Last edited by a moderator: