If I you like Beethovens music does that mean that you just dont

  • Thread starter Thread starter tomishere
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Music
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
tomishere
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
If I you like Beethovens music does that mean that you "just dont

just don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it yet"

EDIT: ok the title was supposed to say "If I you DONT like Beethovens music does that mean that you "just don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it yet" ?
anyway, continued...


what do you think? I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and i noticed a couple of things about beethoven:
1) beethoven first got a reputation playing in saloons. he was improvising on bach tunes. (a bar band, doing covers)
2) back then the average joe schmo had about an 8th grade education level.

3) conclusion: Beethoven hit it really big via the appraisals of a very lowbrow audience, despite the adulations he also enjoyed from nobility.

OK this is generalizing (understatement) but I just don't see how beethoven could have been as profound as popular opinion affirms?? its like the experts on beethoven intuit all this superhuman nuance in the music that really isn't even there, --only exists in the mind of the fanatical listener, no? .. Is it possible that a lot of people listen to this stuff just because other people listen to it? You know, sort of like the concept of "hype" --when a band reaches that sort of critical mass point and crowd mentality takes over and launches them into celebrity and $$ etc etc.. What do u thonk?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


Beethoven wrote a wide range of music, which I could rate from ugly, boring, to absolutely all time favorites (7th and 9th symphony, violin concerto) But others may find that boring (heard too many times) and may find other works interesting and marvelous, which I consider ugly.

I don't think there is much evidence for correlation between music appreciation and mental capacities.
 


tomishere said:
i noticed a couple of things about beethoven:
1) beethoven first got a reputation playing in saloons. he was improvising on bach tunes. (a bar band, doing covers)
2) back then the average joe schmo had about an 8th grade education level.
3) conclusion: Beethoven hit it really big via the appraisals of a very lowbrow audience, despite the adulations he also enjoyed from nobility.

Please provide a reference for these 3 statements.
 


The reason that I don't like Beethoven is that it isn't Black Sabbath.
 


The OP's post is just nonsense, so there's no reason to keep the thread open.