Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I you like Beethovens music does that mean that you just dont

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    If I you like Beethovens music does that mean that you "just dont

just dont have the mental capacity to appreciate it yet"

EDIT: ok the title was supposed to say "If I you DONT like Beethovens music does that mean that you "just dont have the mental capacity to appreciate it yet" ?
    anyway, continued...

what do you think? Ive been thinking about this quite a bit, and i noticed a couple of things about beethoven:
    1) beethoven first got a reputation playing in saloons. he was improvising on bach tunes. (a bar band, doing covers)
    2) back then the average joe schmo had about an 8th grade education level.

3) conclusion: Beethoven hit it really big via the appraisals of a very lowbrow audience, despite the adulations he also enjoyed from nobility.

OK this is generalizing (understatement) but I just dont see how beethoven could have been as profound as popular opinion affirms?? its like the experts on beethoven intuit all this superhuman nuance in the music that really isnt even there, --only exists in the mind of the fanatical listener, no? .. Is it possible that alot of people listen to this stuff just because other people listen to it? You know, sort of like the concept of "hype" --when a band reaches that sort of critical mass point and crowd mentality takes over and launches them into celebrity and $$ etc etc.. What do u thonk?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2
    Re: If I you like Beethovens music does that mean that you "just dont

Beethoven wrote a wide range of music, which I could rate from ugly, boring, to absolutely all time favorites (7th and 9th symphony, violin concerto) But others may find that boring (heard too many times) and may find other works interesting and marvelous, which I consider ugly.

I don't think there is much evidence for corrolation between music appreciation and mental capacities.

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

As with all forms of entertainment it comes down to people's subjective values in a given context.

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please provide a reference for these 3 statements.

6. Jul 20, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

The reason that I don't like Beethoven is that it isn't Black Sabbath.

7. Jul 20, 2012 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The OP's post is just nonsense, so there's no reason to keep the thread open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook