If not here, where can I get feedback on new theory?

• Thread starter Marion Hollowa
  • Start date
The only problem is that the more rigorous you are, the higher the score. I believe that, to date, no one has ever scored 0 points.In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of getting feedback on new theories in the science community. It was suggested to do a Google search for other science communities and to submit the theory to a peer-reviewed journal. There was also discussion about the likelihood of a new theory being valid and the potential cost of getting it evaluated. Finally, the importance of being rigorous and open to criticism was emphasized.
Marion Hollowa
I accept that this forum's policy ("If you have a new theory or idea, this is not the place to look for feedback on it...") without question, and I am not asking for that kind of feedback. I am asking if there is anywhere to get feedback on a new unpublished theory? Thanking you in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I just did, and found one. Thanks again.

Be careful, an online forum that let's anyone post anything to be answered by anyone is a bit dubious.

Thanks for the advice. I never expected that it would be so difficult to have a new idea read by an expert in Physics. Are there so many new untested theories that it would waste too much time to read them all? Assuming there are thousands that are baseless and one that is valid, I am wondering how the one good idea gets through. Do you believe there are any reputable physicist that would agree to read it if they were paid to do so?

Are there so many new untested theories that it would waste too much time to read them all?
There are some many texts (not theories) that it would be a waste of time to read them all.

Actual theories are read. They come from physicists who do not have issues to contact other physicists.

Marion Hollowa said:
Thanks for the advice. I never expected that it would be so difficult to have a new idea read by an expert in Physics. Are there so many new untested theories that it would waste too much time to read them all? Assuming there are thousands that are baseless and one that is valid, I am wondering how the one good idea gets through. Do you believe there are any reputable physicist that would agree to read it if they were paid to do so?
Literally anyone can write something and post it online heralding it as a new "theory". It would be a waste of time for experts to try and read through all the rubbish just in case. If something is worth reading then it most likely was written by someone with qualifications and experience (otherwise how would they know what to write?) and as such is far more likely to be published in peer-reviewed literature.

The best place to get feedback on your ideas is peer-reviewed literature. Choose an applicable journal that you've been reading papers from during the course of your research and write up your paper to their admission guidelines to submit it. If you don't know of any journals then your research wasn't thorough enough by far and your "theory" most likely worthless. I'm not trying to cause offence, just telling the truth.

This recent similar thread might be of interest to you
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=683075

Marion Hollowa said:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2979

In particular:

ZapperZ said:
That is like keeping a broken vase, rather than throwing it out, with the hope that it will reassemble into its original self! Sure, the phase space for that happening isn't zero, but I'll be darn if it has happened before!

You don't plan your life around something that has such a low probability of happening that it might as well not happen. So why should you demand that out of physicists?

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marion Hollowa said:
Are there so many new untested theories that it would waste too much time to read them all?

Often these ideas are not new. We regularly get people who disregard the rules and post "their" "new" theory of gravity, even though it was proposed in 1690.

Marion Hollowa said:
Do you believe there are any reputable physicist that would agree to read it if they were paid to do so?

If you dealt one-on-one, you would probably have to pay in advance. When faced with a negative assessment of their theory, people might refuse to pay. You could go to a National Lab, under a Work-For-Others Agreement, but it would not be cheap. I'd estimate $4000.

Thank you to every one that responded. This is a real learning experience and I am grateful for the time taken and the thoughtfulness of the responses. I can see your points and understand the probability of my friend's "theory" being valid is very small. If he did not have such a convincing case that fully supports experimental results, and even explains things like the voyager paradox all with the formulas to predict it, I would have given up by now. So, I will follow your advise and try to find a peer-reviewed literature site. He is a modest guy (you can see I am doing his bidding) and really only wants someone to find the flaw his logic, and math, because otherwise he will be left thinking "what if".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPapE-3FRw

1. What are the benefits of seeking feedback on a new theory from other sources besides my colleagues?

Seeking feedback from a variety of sources can provide diverse perspectives and insights on your theory. It can also help identify any potential flaws or gaps in your theory that you may have missed.

2. How can I find other scientists or experts who are willing to provide feedback on my new theory?

You can attend conferences, workshops, or seminars related to your field of study and network with other scientists. You can also reach out to experts through social media or professional networking sites.

3. Is it necessary to get feedback from other scientists before publishing my new theory?

While it is not a requirement, getting feedback from other scientists can greatly improve the quality and credibility of your theory before it is published. It also shows that you have sought input from the scientific community and have considered various perspectives.

4. How can I ensure that the feedback I receive is constructive and helpful?

Be clear about what type of feedback you are seeking and provide specific questions or prompts for reviewers to address. It is also important to approach feedback with an open mind and be willing to consider different perspectives.

5. Can I get feedback on my new theory from non-scientists?

While it is always helpful to get feedback from experts in your field, non-scientists can also provide valuable insights and perspectives. They may have a different way of looking at things and can offer a unique perspective on your theory.