Education Forum Split - Feedback Requested

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Education forums are looking for feedback on a possible change to the sub forum structure. There is a possibility of a new sub forum being created called "School, Universities, Programs and Courses." Another idea is to create a forum for Education Planning. However, none of these ideas have been promised and are only suggestions at this point.
Hello glorious PFers,

We are looking for feedback and suggestions regarding a possible change to the Education forums. For one thing "Open Practice Problems" will be retired. Its purpose has pretty well fizzled out.

That leaves a possible open slot to add a new sub forum. The initial idea is to split the Academic Guidance forum into two. The split is fairly determined by the prefixes inside. So we'd group Schools, Programs, and Courses into a forum then Studying and Testing etc into another.

We would like you hear your thoughts whether that is a good idea or bad idea (keep as is but remove OPP) or maybe we're close but you'd tweak it or maybe you have a totally different idea for a new sub forum in Education.

All suggestions considered but none promised. If you simply want to show support for the initial idea you can simply "like" this post. Thanks!

Likes Bmaxwell, Kumar maddila, OcaliptusP and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's unnecessary and too much fragmentation.

Likes thomas19981
How is the "school and courses" group different from "testing"? Practice problems may be done away with, I support that.

Wrichik Basu said:
How is the "school and courses" group different from "testing"?
The former is questions about specific schools/admissions and specific courses school's provide and the latter is for questions regarding various exams and testing taking advice/tips etc.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
The former is questions about specific schools/admissions and specific courses school's provide
Doesn't that match a bit with Academic Guidance?

Wrichik Basu said:
Doesn't that match a bit with Academic Guidance?
The initial idea is to split the Academic Guidance forum into two. Meaning there won't be a general "Academic Guidance" forum

Greg Bernhardt said:
The initial idea is to split the Academic Guidance forum into two.
Oh yes, that may be a good idea.

Otherwise, I've got another idea. A forum of Education Planning may be added, so as to help teachers make lesson plans for students, and serve as a general forum for discussing education systems and the changes they need. Though I don't know how many users will be attracted by that.

Wrichik Basu said:
Oh yes, that may be a good idea.

Otherwise, I've got another idea. A forum of Education Planning may be added, so as to help teachers make lesson plans for students, and serve as a general forum for discussing education systems and the changes they need. Though I don't know how many users that will attract.
Good idea, but would that not go under
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/educators-and-teaching.192/

Since a great many messages that belong in Academic or Career guidance belong in the others, and the poor mentors must have sore fingers from moving them, maybe they should be merged. Then two new fora could be created.

Likes DrClaude and bhobba
I don't think this would be necessary, but if we do it, I think we'd rather separate the two by "not yet inscribed at a university" and "inscribed at a university". Other differentiating criteria will in my opinion lead to confusion, so why not set the separator at a point where education fundamentally changes anyway.

I greatly support the creation of the "School, Universities, Programs and Courses" forum. I have 0 idea about US universities, except that I know the names of Berkeley, Harvard or Stanford. Someone else might want to know about Indian universities like IIT, where I might be of help. So, that'll be of mutual benefit.

Might unearth lesser known schools that way.. Could help kids of lesser means. Heaven knows i could never have afforded tuition at an Ivy League place.

If there is such a division,
I think Courses should go with "Studying and Testing" and leave the rest as "Schools, Universities, and Programs".

Likes Wrichik Basu, PhanthomJay and Greg Bernhardt
I personally feel that there is no need to split the Academic Guidance forum. I would argue that we should keep Academic Guidance as is, but just remove the Open Practice Problems. I don't necessarily see a need to have too many sub-forums -- this would lead to a more streamlined website.

Likes lekh2003
I think that splitting the Academic Guidance forum is unnecessary. But then again I don't have much of an inspiration for an alternative...

Greg Bernhardt said:
"Open Practice Problems" will be retired. Its purpose has pretty well fizzled out.
Would it be possible to do this stepwise? Something along the lines of the SA/HH nominations; "why is there air" questions can be "deep-sixed" immediately, and others (unanswered Qs) can be retained until a consensus is reached regarding retention/"deep-six."

jim hardy said:
Might unearth lesser known schools that way.. Could help kids of lesser means. Heaven knows i could never have afforded tuition at an Ivy League place.

These days I believe Ivy's and similar schools like MIT etc give a free ride to, I think the figure is, but don't quote me on it, anyone whose family income is under $60k and on a sliding scale up from that. When I was interested in such things years ago Harvard started the ball rolling and was expected similar schools would soon follow.

It would seem getting into such school's is the issue - not paying for it.

The big problem is the number of such schools are fixed, but with the number of people going to college increasing, the number of applying for places at these schools keeps going up. Parent's often don't understand this and still push their kids to get into these ultra selective schools. Harvard for example has 5% admission rate. Personally my favorite school is Harvey Mudd - it's a better at 13% - but still not easy. Then we have schools like Georgia Tech that IMHO are just as good as the Ivies - but with much higher acceptance rate ie 26%. And maybe just a smidgen below that (13th ranked STEM school) Virginia Tech has an an acceptance rate of 71%. Its important those seeking academic advice know this.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Wanting to Learn
Bystander said:
Would it be possible to do this stepwise? Something along the lines of the SA/HH nominations; "why is there air" questions can be "deep-sixed" immediately, and others (unanswered Qs) can be retained until a consensus is reached regarding retention/"deep-six."
I don't follow :smile:

Deleted - as the post it responded to was deleted.

My post was purely in response to Jim Hardy's comment about the cost of Ivy's.

If anyone wants to discuss other issues it raises such as if you really need to go to one in the first place to get a top notch education, please start a new thread - it's not what this thread is about.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
This may be slightly off-topic, but since you're considering restructuring Academic Guidance, I have a suggestion for restructuring both Academic Guidance and Career Guidance. They should both be split into US and non-US. OP's should be required to state the country they are in, the country they plan to study in, and the country they plan to work in. In many threads, there are many responses specific to US practice ... and then it turns out the OP is from India or Italy or wherever (not stated up front). Same thing on the flip side: an OP seeking advice on grad school or finding a job in the US and receiving responses from members outside the US not familiar with US practice (not stated up front). Lots of unnecessary confusion constantly arising from different national practices.

Likes Tom.G, Greg Bernhardt and bhobba
CrysPhys said:
They should both be split into US and non-US..

Absolutely.

I am in Australia and the situation here is very different to the situation in the US. I know the US quite well because at one time answered a lot of questions about colleges on Yahoo answers and the vast majority of people that asked there were from the US, so I quickly learned all about the US situation.

Both are entirely different with many different issues - take a look at the thread about if Algebra should be a requirement to graduate from Community Colleges in the US.

Thanks
Bill

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't follow :smile:
Kev said:
1. Homework Statement
For a neuron with the transfer function given below deterimne the weight updates

andy203 said:
Here is the issue I met.Could you refer to attache
Couple samples of "immediate" waste of space; both are "drive-by" postings, both are poorly phrased, and both contribute nothing to PF. Delete them. Can be contrasted to
admXXII said:

Homework Statement

I need help rationalizing the following:
which is again a "drive-by," but does have redeeming qualities, the request for explanation/rationalization of bond angles. A "keeper."

Bystander said:
Couple samples of "immediate" waste of space; both are "drive-by" postings, both are poorly phrased, and both contribute nothing to PF. Delete them. Can be contrasted to
which is again a "drive-by," but does have redeeming qualities, the request for explanation/rationalization of bond angles. A "keeper."

I apologize for being dense, but how is this in response to my OP? Help me connect the dots :)

I may understand now and this confusion is due to missing information. The OPP forum contents will return to their respective parental homework forums. They aren't being deleted.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I apologize for being dense, but how is this in response to my OP? Help me connect the dots :)
Greg Bernhardt said:
"Open Practice Problems" will be retired. Its purpose has pretty well fizzled out.
Greg Bernhardt said:
OPP forum contents will return to their respective parental homework forums. They aren't being deleted.
Okay. Just misunderstood you.

Bystander said:
Okay. Just misunderstood you.
My OP did not include that missing information. Cheers! :)

Instead of splitting by country (which wouldn’t lead to homogeneous forums anyway - Italy and India are as different as India and the US), we could use thread prefixes for common countries (and „other“ for the rest/multiple countries).

Likes bhobba
mfb said:
Instead of splitting by country (which wouldn’t lead to homogeneous forums anyway - Italy and India are as different as India and the US), we could use thread prefixes for common countries (and „other“ for the rest/multiple countries).

I think the point is volume control. If you segregate US from non US, the non US won't get lost in a sea of US and volume should be low enough that each non US isn't flooding the other. May need to add UK and/or CAD too.

Imo, though, there should instead be a neuroscience forum separate from biology :p

mfb said:
Pythagorean said:
I think the point is volume control. If you segregate US from non US, the non US won't get lost in a sea of US and volume should be low enough that each non US isn't flooding the other. May need to add UK and/or CAD too.
Yes, I realize that the rest of the world outside of the US is not homogeneous. There would be an initial US/non-US split. Under non-US, there would be tabs for specific countries (or multiple countries or regions).

I don't think that a regional separation is helpful. I've seen many threads which aren't related to location. I think this makes sense as the process of studying and the issues caused by human misunderstandings or incompleteness is pretty much the same all over the world. Of course there are also posts which are specifically due to the framework (degrees, tuition, qualifiers etc.) but even those are often general enough if one disregards the names of tests. A split by country seemed artificial to me. In the end we have to rely on a good description of the situation anyway.

Likes bhobba
Regional separation is not really attainable in our setup because you can't have multiple prefixes. Having separate forums for both will dilute globally applicable advice. Interesting idea for the future though!