If pH is below pKa, chemical will be protonated: corresponding rule for pKb?

In summary: Yes, that is what I am looking for! Thanks for the clarification.In summary, when looking for the pKa of a protonated molecule, you can use the pKa for the unprotonated species minus 14.0.
LogicX
The rule that if the pH of solution is below the pKa of a molecule then that molecule will be protonated is a handy rule. However, I'm finding it difficult to find the pKa of the chemicals I'm working with. This mostly applies to looking at nitrogens in organic compounds.

For example, it is easy to find the pKa of an amine. However, this is usually the pKa for the uncharged species. I don't really care about the hydrogen in NH3 that has a pKa of 35. I want to know the pKa of NH4+ so I can predict whether it will be protonated at physiological pH. The same goes with many compounds like aniline, pyridine, etc. I need to know the pKa of protonated, ammonium group and it is hard to find.

Who cares about the pKa of the uncharged amine in lysine? We care more about the fact that R group with R-NH3+ has a pKa of 10 so it is pretty much always protonated at physiological pH.

Is there a way to use the pKb of a neutral group to predict at what pH that group will grab a proton? This is the only way I can think of to possibly skirt this problem of not knowing pKa values.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a very easy way: pKa for a protonated species = 14.0 – pKb for the unprotonated species (conjugate base).

Thanks! I actually just worked that out on paper with the henderson hasselbach equation after I posted this and it worked for basic amines.

When I tried to do it with the pKb of arginine though it didn't work. I looked up that the pKb of arginine (uncharged R group) was 11.509, which would suggest that the pKa of the charged species is around 2.5. This is not correct though, since the pKa is really 12.5. What went wrong here?

There are a lot of confusing pK conventions and values tabulated for amino acids, and particularly for multifunctional ones like arginine -- they are connected with the exact way that ionization equations are written, and whether classical or zwitterionic forms are used.

The table that I have (CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 56th Edition, page C-761) shows the following values for arginine:

Classical: pKa1 = 12.48 pKb1 = 4.96 pKb2 = 11.99
Zwitterionic: pKA1 = 2.01 pKB1 = 1.52 pKb2 = 4.96
Acidic: pKa1 = 2.01 pKa2 = 9.04 pKa3 = 12.48

From this I glean:
H2N-R-COOH --> H2N-R-COO(–) + H(+) pKa = 12.48 pKb = 1.52

H2N-R(+)-COOH --> H2N-R-COOH + H(+) pKa = 9.04 pKb = 4.96

H3N(+)-R(+)-COOH --> H2N-R(+)-COOH + H(+) pKa = 2.01 pKb = 11.99

I think that the values in the middle reaction are the ones that you are really wanting.

Yes, there is a corresponding rule for pKb. If the pH of a solution is above the pKb of a molecule, then that molecule will be deprotonated. This can be used to predict when a neutral group will become protonated based on its pKb value. However, it is important to note that pKb values can also vary depending on the specific compound and its environment. It may be necessary to experimentally determine the pKb value for a specific compound in order to accurately predict its protonation state at a given pH. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other researchers or literature sources to find pKb values for specific compounds.

1. What is the significance of pH being below pKa?

When the pH is below the pKa value of a chemical, it means that the concentration of protons (H+) in the solution is higher than the concentration of the deprotonated form of the chemical. This can affect the chemical's properties and reactivity.

2. How does the protonation of a chemical affect its properties?

Protonation can change the charge and structure of a chemical, which can impact its solubility, stability, and reactivity. It can also affect the chemical's ability to interact with other molecules and participate in reactions.

3. Is there a corresponding rule for pKb similar to the one for pKa?

Yes, the corresponding rule for pKb is that if the pH is above the pKb value, the chemical will be deprotonated. This means that the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) in the solution is higher than the concentration of the protonated form of the chemical.

4. Can pH and pKa values be used to predict the protonation state of a chemical?

Yes, pH and pKa values can be used to make predictions about the protonation state of a chemical. If the pH is below the pKa, the chemical will be protonated, and if the pH is above the pKa, the chemical will be deprotonated.

5. How does temperature affect the protonation state of a chemical?

Temperature can affect the protonation state of a chemical by altering the equilibrium between the protonated and deprotonated forms. Changes in temperature can also impact the pH of a solution, which can in turn affect the protonation state of a chemical.