Why is the crime rate in West Virginia so low compared to other states?

• Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    crime
In summary: Have you been to West Virginia? I have some cousins living there, and they've all been to prison. Last time I visited, I couldn't count how may times some random guy on the street would ask me if I wanted to buy some "rock," pills, or "bud." Also got into a fight. Everybody acted like they had something they wanted to prove.West Virginia has a very low crime rate because it is a rural state. The crime rate is highest in densely populated cities.
Dremmer
Why is the crime rate in West Virginia so low? If poverty causes crime, shouldn't West Virginia have high crime?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been to West Virginia? I have some cousins living there, and they've all been to prison. Last time I visited, I couldn't count how may times some random guy on the street would ask me if I wanted to buy some "rock," pills, or "bud." Also got into a fight. Everybody acted like they had something they wanted to prove.

Crime rate is based on arrests, right? If there is high corruption in law enforcement, then arrests might not be a good indicator of crime.

In general, non-violent crime rates increase as incomes come down, and violent crime rates increase as children with single parents increase. I'm guessing the latter is only because the parents don't have enough time, or aren't willing to be a positive influence in their children's lives.

loquita2 said:
Most of Virginia, and places around Washington DC are poor.

I'll have to challenge you on this point - please support. Please note - "around Washington D.C." means suburban MD and Northern Virginia - if you meant D.C. proper - please clarify.

ektrules said:
Have you been to West Virginia? I have some cousins living there, and they've all been to prison. Last time I visited, I couldn't count how may times some random guy on the street would ask me if I wanted to buy some "rock," pills, or "bud." Also got into a fight. Everybody acted like they had something they wanted to prove.

Crime rate is based on arrests, right? If there is high corruption in law enforcement, then arrests might not be a good indicator of crime.

In general, non-violent crime rates increase as incomes come down, and violent crime rates increase as children with single parents increase. I'm guessing the latter is only because the parents don't have enough time, or aren't willing to be a positive influence in their children's lives.

Other things could affect the arrest rate as well. Maybe County A has no law against alcohol, and County B bans the consumption of it. With something like alcohol, it's obvious people are going to break the law anyway. If everything else is equal, than County B will have a higher arrest rate. Things normally aren't equal, though, and there are a multitude of differing laws and other factors.

1. Does poverty really cause crime?

There is no simple answer to this question. While there is a correlation between poverty and crime rates, it is not a direct causation. Poverty alone does not cause someone to commit a crime, but it can be a contributing factor. Other social, economic, and personal factors also play a role in criminal behavior.

2. How does poverty lead to crime?

Research suggests that poverty can lead to crime through various mechanisms such as lack of access to education and job opportunities, exposure to violence and crime in impoverished neighborhoods, and financial strain and desperation. However, it is important to note that poverty is not the sole determining factor in criminal behavior.

3. Are there any exceptions to the poverty-crime relationship?

Yes, there are exceptions to the poverty-crime relationship. Not everyone living in poverty turns to crime, and not all criminals come from impoverished backgrounds. There are many other factors at play, such as individual characteristics, family dynamics, and community influences.

4. Is it possible to reduce crime by eliminating poverty?

While reducing poverty may have a positive impact on crime rates, it is not a guaranteed solution. Crime is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. Simply eliminating poverty will not automatically lead to a decrease in crime, but it can be a step in the right direction.

5. How can we address the poverty-crime relationship?

The best approach to addressing the poverty-crime relationship is through a combination of strategies. This includes addressing the root causes of poverty, such as lack of education and job opportunities, providing support and resources for at-risk individuals and communities, and implementing effective crime prevention and intervention programs. It is also crucial to address systemic issues and inequalities that contribute to poverty and crime.