If probability wave is true wouldn't there be flickering?

In summary, the article's author believes that the pattern seen when shining a laser through the slits is due to the passage of a wave through the slits, and that this wave is real and causes the pattern to appear.
deansatch said:
is that not like saying "just accept that things just are the way they are and don't question it"?

bhobba said:
No - its a bit different...

I agree with Bhobba's response above. However, I also feel obligated to mention that David Mermin, one of the pioneers in the field, once summarized quantum mechanics by placing his tongue firmly in his cheek and saying "Shut up and calculate"... So deansatch, it's one thing to know how QM works, but another thing altogether to like it :smile:

Likes bhobba
Physics news on Phys.org
Nugatory said:
However, I also feel obligated to mention that David Mermin, one of the pioneers in the field, once summarized quantum mechanics by placing his tongue firmly in his cheek and saying "Shut up and calculate"... So deansatch, it's one thing to know how QM works, but another thing altogether to like it :smile:

People say it was Feynman that said that - but really it was Mermin - although it's the type of thing Feynman would have said.

I don't think anyone likes the situation in QM, they just accept it. Even Einstein, whose real attitude to QM is often misrepresented, agreed it was correct - but incomplete. Its perfectly valid to hold Einstein's view and simply accept it until something better comes along. But until it does don't be consumed by the issue - you will get nowhere.

Thanks
Bill

deansatch said:
I'm still trying to get my head round the movement (and existence) of photons. ie. Why do they move...if nothing propels them...why are they moving? Are they attracted towards something? I can't just accept that they move constantly for no reason.
You can try to ask this question in relativity subforum. It might be easier to take moving at the speed of light as basic idea and rather ask question why things are staying in place (moving inertially). Possible answer is that you can view massive particles as moving at the speed of light but not getting anywhere (not moving straight in the same direction).
deansatch said:
And how are they created? If a photon is created what is it created from?
Photon is viewed as excitation of electromagnetic field so in a sense you can say it's made from electromagnetic field.

Maybe if you think of it as a symmetry? It's called lights duality, meaning that it has both wave and particle aspects. If you think of it as a field, then it should be about probabilities to my eyes. And those probabilities are actually probabilities, for me that is. The idea of a 'field' do not tell you that it has to be waves, neither does it tell you that it has to be particles. People likes waves, and it's a concept that seems to work, but I like probabilities myself, and a duality.

Bill,

Even though I had trouble with QM in college, I enjoyed reading the paper you linked. . Your exposition helped me follow the application of the conceptual framework along with the notation.

Thank you!

Ralph Dratman

<h2>1. If probability wave is true, what causes the flickering effect?</h2><p>The flickering effect is caused by the probabilistic nature of the wave function. This means that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be precisely determined, leading to a fluctuation or "flickering" of its location.</p><h2>2. How does the probability wave explain the behavior of particles?</h2><p>The probability wave, also known as the wave function, describes the likelihood of finding a particle at a certain position and time. It explains the behavior of particles by showing that they do not have a definite position or momentum, but rather exist as a wave of probabilities.</p><h2>3. Does the flickering effect only occur at the quantum level?</h2><p>Yes, the flickering effect is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level, where the rules of classical physics do not apply. It is a result of the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum.</p><h2>4. Can the flickering effect be observed in everyday life?</h2><p>No, the flickering effect is only observable at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. This is because the uncertainty principle only applies to particles with very small masses, such as electrons, and not to larger objects that we encounter in our daily lives.</p><h2>5. How does the probability wave relate to the concept of superposition?</h2><p>The probability wave is a key component of the concept of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously. The wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in each of these states, and when measured, the wave function "collapses" to a single state, determining the particle's location or behavior.</p>

1. If probability wave is true, what causes the flickering effect?

The flickering effect is caused by the probabilistic nature of the wave function. This means that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be precisely determined, leading to a fluctuation or "flickering" of its location.

2. How does the probability wave explain the behavior of particles?

The probability wave, also known as the wave function, describes the likelihood of finding a particle at a certain position and time. It explains the behavior of particles by showing that they do not have a definite position or momentum, but rather exist as a wave of probabilities.

3. Does the flickering effect only occur at the quantum level?

Yes, the flickering effect is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level, where the rules of classical physics do not apply. It is a result of the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum.

4. Can the flickering effect be observed in everyday life?

No, the flickering effect is only observable at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. This is because the uncertainty principle only applies to particles with very small masses, such as electrons, and not to larger objects that we encounter in our daily lives.

5. How does the probability wave relate to the concept of superposition?

The probability wave is a key component of the concept of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously. The wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in each of these states, and when measured, the wave function "collapses" to a single state, determining the particle's location or behavior.