If set A subset of B, and B of C, it does not necessarilly f

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Logical Dog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
Logical Dog
Messages
362
Reaction score
97
Continiung from the title, it does not necessarilly follow that A will be a subset of C. I knew this for a long time, but I am unable to understand why. Elias zakons notes gave an example'

here is the example:

This may be illustrated by the following examples.
Let a “nation” be defined as a certain set of individuals, and let the United
Nations (U.N.) be regarded as a certain set of nations. Then single persons are
elements of the nations, and the nations are members of U.N., but individuals
are not members of U.N. Similarly, the Big Ten consists of ten universities,
each university contains thousands of students, but no student is one of the
Big Ten. Families of sets will usually be denoted by script letters: M, N , P,
etc

could anyone give other examples, more mathematical object oriented?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand this. You mean to say that ##A \subseteq B## and ##B \subseteq C## does not imply ##A \subseteq C##? I am confused.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Logical Dog
Krylov said:
I don't understand this. You mean to say that ##A \subseteq B## and ##B \subseteq C## does not imply ##A \subseteq C##? I am confused.

yes. Have any more examples in terms of types of numbers?
 
Bipolar Demon said:
yes. Have any more examples in terms of types of numbers?

No, since what krylov said is true. You seem to think it's not true for some weird reason.
 
micromass said:
No, since what krylov said is true. You seem to think it's not true for some weird reason.

No no. sorry, I meant if
1. a is a subset of B
2. and B is a subset of C,
3. it does not necessarily mean that A is also a subset of C

Would you be having any examples, in terms of numbers or just in general?
 
Bipolar Demon said:
No no. sorry, I meant if
1. a is a subset of B
2. and B is a subset of C,
3. it does not necessarily mean that A is also a subset of C

Would you be having any examples, in terms of numbers or just in general?

If 1 and 2 are true that it does necessarily mean that A is a subset of C.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Logical Dog
micromass said:
If 1 and 2 are true that it does necessarily mean that A is a subset of C.
Ok. Sorry for the confusion, I think I will go sleep and read it again.
 
micromass said:
You should revise the difference between subset and element.

No i got it, mixed up the symbols. sorry,

So if A is in B, and B is in C, A will most likely not be an element of C. As C = {{A}}

But subsets are always nested.
 
Here is a rather artificial example:
1. ##2## is an element of ##P##, the set of prime numbers.
2. The set ##P## of prime numbers is an element of ##\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z})##, the collection of all subsets of ##\mathbb{Z}##.
3. But ##2\in \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z})## would mean that ##2## is a subset of ##\mathbb{Z}##, which it is not.
 
Bipolar Demon said:
No i got it, mixed up the symbols. sorry,

So if A is in B, and B is in C, A will most likely not be an element of C. As C = {{A}}

But subsets are always nested.
Right.

A can be in C, however. C={{A},A}, done.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Logical Dog