If the center of gravity changes on a die, how do the odds change?

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in odds on each side of a die when the center of gravity is altered. The exact equations for the probabilities are unknown, but it is suggested to search for resources on the math of unfair dice. The possibility of using the change in center of gravity to manipulate the outcome of a roll is also briefly mentioned.
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
If the center of gravity changes on a die, how do the odds on each of the eyes change?
If the center of gravity changes on a die, how do the odds on each of the eyes change?

Likes ergospherical
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "how do", are you asking why the probabilities change, or are you asking for a formula for the new probabilities?
Why the probabilities change is because there is different leverage when they roll and they are more likely to settle into some positions than into others.
The exact equations for the probabilities are far beyond my knowledge and I will leave that to others.

Ad VanderVen said:
Summary:: If the center of gravity changes on a die, how do the odds on each of the eyes change?

A Google search on math of unfair die returns lots of good hits. Maybe have a look through those search results to see if you can find what you are looking for. :wink:

Ad VanderVen said:
Uh ... you think maybe that answer to that might depend on HOW the center of gravity changes? I could posit a die that has its COG very close to the middle of the face opposite the one. What would the odds be of rolling anything but a one?

Ad VanderVen said:

Interesting question! I've been playing around with a variation on it for a little while. Consider an ##n##-sided polygon in the plane of side length ##s##. Label each side with a number between ##1## and ##n##. Let the centre of mass be displaced from the centre of the polygon, toward the ##i^{\mathrm{th}}## edge, by a distance ##a##.

To analyse the dynamics, consider the change in energy & angular momentum which occur on each subsequent roll (pivoting from one edge to the next). Given an initial angular velocity ##\omega##, how many rolls does it take for the polygon to come to rest? Assuming that the edge labelled ##1## is initially in contact with the table, you can work out the relationship between the initial angular velocity and the edge on which the polygon comes to rest.

On a related note, I did a Google search trying to see if there is a technique to rolling unfair dice, like to you want to minimize or maximize the number of bounces and disatance travelled, etc. So far no luck with my searching. It does seem like there would be a best way to "roll" the unfair dice to get the weighting to do the best job of landing a favorable face up...

1. How does the center of gravity affect the rolling of a die?

The center of gravity on a die determines its balance and stability. If the center of gravity changes, the die may roll differently and affect the outcome of the roll.

2. Can changing the center of gravity on a die impact the odds of rolling a certain number?

Yes, changing the center of gravity can affect the odds of rolling a certain number. If the center of gravity is shifted to one side, it may increase the likelihood of that side landing face up.

3. What factors can cause the center of gravity to change on a die?

The center of gravity on a die can change due to manufacturing errors, damage to the die, or external factors such as temperature or surface conditions.

4. Are there any methods to ensure that the center of gravity remains consistent on a die?

Yes, manufacturers use precision tools and techniques to maintain the center of gravity on a die. Additionally, regular quality control checks can help identify and correct any changes in the center of gravity.

5. How can knowing about the center of gravity on a die help in games or simulations?

Understanding the center of gravity on a die can help in predicting and manipulating the outcome of rolls in games or simulations. It can also aid in creating more accurate and realistic simulations.