If the universe came from nothing

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Castlegate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
124 replies · 27K views
out of whack said:
I think we can do better. We can simply realize that the question makes no sense, stop asking it and move on to questions that do make sense.


No, he's right...the only "conclusion" is an answer which cannot be contradicted by further questioning...
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
So, if I have a box with nothing in it*, and I place a box of plumber's putty in it, have I not destroyed the nothing?

You just moved nothing out of the empty box and put in where the box of putty used to be.
 
No, you're taking an empty box and putting a box of putty inside it..you haven't destroyedd the nothing...It's still there as much as the putty is.
 
Castlegate said:
So you're saying that the universe can't come from nothing? That the universe had no beginning?

If so - then the universe has always been. Not for x number of years, but for an infinity of years. Yet here we are as time passes, which implies an incomplete infinity, which brings us back to ... the universe had a beginning and that it came from nothing.

All infinities are not equal, however, and such can be proven mathematically. I am uncertain as to where that leaves the argument, but it seems vaguely pertinent.
 
This is a very old thread, and the person you are replying to is no longer with us.