Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If the universe is infinite, are there planets made out of swiss cheese

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    If the universe is infinite, are there planets made out of swiss cheese?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's too runny. :rolleyes:

But maybe if there were an infinite number of universes. :smile:

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    No, only dutch cheese :)

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4
    Space is infinite(boundryless), matter is not.

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Bald assertion.

7. Feb 27, 2010 #6
    If f is defined on all of R, is there an x such that f(x)=0?

8. Mar 5, 2010 #7
    Not swiss cheese. Cheese isn't dense enough to withstand the energy emitted by its sun. Maybe in another universe where the laws of physics are different.

What a planet though, all you need is your own bread and ham. Yummmm.

9. Mar 5, 2010 #8
    No. Moons are made of cheese. That pretty much proves that the universe is infinite. Planets are made of baloney. As Neils Bohr said, if this doesn't make you hungry, you don't understand it.

10. Mar 5, 2010 #9
    nope, but after reading your question i made myself a sandwich. :devil:

11. Mar 6, 2010 #10
    Only if somewhere there exists a process for planet formation via cow glands.

12. Mar 7, 2010 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rolleyes: isn't that ordinary galactic formation? :biggrin:

13. Mar 8, 2010 #12
    There probably is a race of beings so bored they made this a reality.

14. Mar 9, 2010 #13

Wait a second, if there were an infinite number of universes in a multiverse, then doesn't it hold that there are an infinite number of universes made of swiss cheese, in an infinite number of configurations, most of which are currently inconceivable to us?

Oh wait no... If P=0, then even among infinite universes 0 would be made of Swiss Cheese. My bad. But it does hold that if P>0, number of universes made of swiss cheese = infinite.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. Mar 15, 2010 #14
    Perhaps there is an infinite number of planets made out of swiss cheese in a weird multi-verse. Also, then, similar with bread and ham planets.
    When these universes collide, we have lunch!

In any event, an extreme multi-verse provides for limitless possibilities(even standard physics laws can change) however, I doubt that some would exist in any stable form.

16. Mar 15, 2010 #15

Do we already know for certain that existence is not relational and would there be instantaneous, non-local influences in an infinite universe?

Otherwise, if the universe is obejctively real, mind-independent and infinite, then there must be planets made out of french cheese.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook