1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If there is a God, i must have pissed him off

1. May 9, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Boy did i have one hell of a day. I get my results from my last midterm for htis differential equations and linear algebra class... f....F.... FAIL, beyond fail even! I should have been given an X on it. Then on my chemistry exam on, amongst other things, electrochemistry, my calculator batteries die and i don't have any backups. Do you know how hard it is to figure out what the hell ln(1/2) on a test with no calculator? Or how bout [tex]k = e^{\frac{E}{R}(\frac{1}{{T_2 }} - \frac{1}{{T_1 }})}[/tex] ??

Oh well it wasn't that bad...

Then i got home and looked at the mail and BOOM, Jury duty.

Day = suck

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

Well I'm sure Cyrus will be here to make fun of you

4. May 9, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

He's already late

5. May 9, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

I'll call him at home

6. May 9, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That's when you know your day is really bad and that you're not just belly-aching and making up drama.... you get hit with jury duty summons.

7. May 9, 2006 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

give some BS excuse not to go

8. May 9, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah like "I plan on being tossed in jail because i didn't report to jury duty"? This isn't some school field trip to a museum. Thankfully from what I hear, you just tell them you're a physicist or a physics major and the lawyer's will tell you to go away and build a laser.

9. May 9, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

fill out the form in crayon and explain that you cannot possibly serve jury duty because you are a penguin. that should do it.

10. May 9, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah and instead of a deputy, they'd send out the nut-house guys to my house :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ahh so many people don't care about their civic duty these days that i bet they even expect people not to come.

11. May 9, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just takes doing a few half-life problems before it gets permanently etched in one's brain that ln2 = 0.693. So, ln(1/2)=-0.693

Alternatively, from high school math classes you might recall that lnx=2.303logx, and surely you know that log2=0.301

As for calculating the rate constant from Arrhenius, I couldn't say unless I had the numbers.

It's also useful to feep a couple other numbers in your head for a rainy day : log3=0.4771, log7=0.8451

Mostly, that's all you'll need to find any other logarithm.

12. May 9, 2006 #11
    Slide rule?

13. May 9, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: Good idea . . Batteries not needed.

14. May 9, 2006 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Tsk tsk. You really should remember stuff like ln 2. Of course ln 0.5 = -ln 2

Here's what I have committed to memory, I consider this to be the basic minimum.

Natural log (ln) 2 = 0.693
    Common log (ld) 2 = 0.301

By dividing those, you can work out ln 10, and you can convert between natural and common logs.

Oh yeah, also remember powers of 2 up to around 2^20 and up to the fifth powers of other numbers from 3 to 11 (of course you can omit the composites and powers (6 = 3*2, 9 = 3^2, 8 = 2^3 etc), 5 = 10/2 and powers of 11 are trivially easy with a Pascal's triangle-like addition algorithm, so that amounts to memorising only powers of 3 and 7). And try and remember stuff like sqrt 2, 3, 5 and 10 up to 3 decimal places. And of course pi and e to 9 decimal places (e is very easy, it almost seems to be a recurrent decimal for the first few places).

All this stuff will really help you in a pinch. It's like the Amex ad : "just in case". :smile:

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  15. May 9, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But it would get you out of it. :biggrin: :rofl:

Better stock up on books, because you'll have a lot of time to sit around and wait while they decide you can't serve on any case for jury duty. Lawyers don't like people with a science background; they understand the forensics too well. Then again, you could show them the F you got and maybe they'll decide you're okay to put on an interesting case. :tongue:

Now, where is Cyrus? You're down and he isn't here picking on you...I hope he's feeling okay. :uhh:

16. May 10, 2006 #15

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If this is true, I've lost all faith in the legal system. :frown: If the fate of someone depends on convincing the ignorant and/or unintelligent, what hope have we of justice ?

I would've said I've lost all faith in lawyers, but I never had any to begin with. :rofl:

17. May 10, 2006 #16
    Too bad you got an F. Just take it again next time and study hard. Now I must return to studying for my 2 finals this saturday myself. I have forced myself off of PF by blocking it on my IE6. :bugeye: Cold-turkey is not good...

bye bye

18. May 10, 2006 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

Pfft. A whining penguin? New species! I shall name you.. Spheniscus whinasaurus :biggrin:

Its just a couple of F's.. Gale got a dozen of those, I'm almost there. Just retake it and next time get an A and be like BOOYA!

19. May 10, 2006 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An alien has taken over Cyrus !

20. May 10, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?!??!?!?!!

21. May 10, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And you thought you had a bad day! Obviously, poor Cyrus is completely crumbling under the exam pressure. :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?