Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If there is a God, i must have pissed him off

1. May 9, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Boy did i have one hell of a day. I get my results from my last midterm for htis differential equations and linear algebra class... f....F.... FAIL, beyond fail even! I should have been given an X on it. Then on my chemistry exam on, amongst other things, electrochemistry, my calculator batteries die and i don't have any backups. Do you know how hard it is to figure out what the hell ln(1/2) on a test with no calculator? Or how bout [tex]k = e^{\frac{E}{R}(\frac{1}{{T_2 }} - \frac{1}{{T_1 }})}[/tex] ??

Oh well it wasn't that bad...

Then i got home and looked at the mail and BOOM, Jury duty.

Day = suck

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

Well I'm sure Cyrus will be here to make fun of you

4. May 9, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

He's already late

5. May 9, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

I'll call him at home

6. May 9, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That's when you know your day is really bad and that you're not just belly-aching and making up drama.... you get hit with jury duty summons.

7. May 9, 2006 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

give some BS excuse not to go

8. May 9, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah like "I plan on being tossed in jail because i didn't report to jury duty"? This isn't some school field trip to a museum. Thankfully from what I hear, you just tell them you're a physicist or a physics major and the lawyer's will tell you to go away and build a laser.

9. May 9, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

fill out the form in crayon and explain that you cannot possibly serve jury duty because you are a penguin. that should do it.

10. May 9, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah and instead of a deputy, they'd send out the nut-house guys to my house :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ahh so many people don't care about their civic duty these days that i bet they even expect people not to come.

11. May 9, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just takes doing a few half-life problems before it gets permanently etched in one's brain that ln2 = 0.693. So, ln(1/2)=-0.693

Alternatively, from high school math classes you might recall that lnx=2.303logx, and surely you know that log2=0.301

As for calculating the rate constant from Arrhenius, I couldn't say unless I had the numbers.

It's also useful to feep a couple other numbers in your head for a rainy day : log3=0.4771, log7=0.8451

Mostly, that's all you'll need to find any other logarithm.

12. May 9, 2006 #11
    Slide rule?

13. May 9, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: Good idea . . Batteries not needed.

14. May 9, 2006 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Tsk tsk. You really should remember stuff like ln 2. Of course ln 0.5 = -ln 2

Here's what I have committed to memory, I consider this to be the basic minimum.

Natural log (ln) 2 = 0.693
    Common log (ld) 2 = 0.301

By dividing those, you can work out ln 10, and you can convert between natural and common logs.

Oh yeah, also remember powers of 2 up to around 2^20 and up to the fifth powers of other numbers from 3 to 11 (of course you can omit the composites and powers (6 = 3*2, 9 = 3^2, 8 = 2^3 etc), 5 = 10/2 and powers of 11 are trivially easy with a Pascal's triangle-like addition algorithm, so that amounts to memorising only powers of 3 and 7). And try and remember stuff like sqrt 2, 3, 5 and 10 up to 3 decimal places. And of course pi and e to 9 decimal places (e is very easy, it almost seems to be a recurrent decimal for the first few places).

All this stuff will really help you in a pinch. It's like the Amex ad : "just in case". :smile:

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  15. May 9, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But it would get you out of it. :biggrin: :rofl:

Better stock up on books, because you'll have a lot of time to sit around and wait while they decide you can't serve on any case for jury duty. Lawyers don't like people with a science background; they understand the forensics too well. Then again, you could show them the F you got and maybe they'll decide you're okay to put on an interesting case. :tongue:

Now, where is Cyrus? You're down and he isn't here picking on you...I hope he's feeling okay. :uhh:

16. May 10, 2006 #15

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If this is true, I've lost all faith in the legal system. :frown: If the fate of someone depends on convincing the ignorant and/or unintelligent, what hope have we of justice ?

I would've said I've lost all faith in lawyers, but I never had any to begin with. :rofl:

17. May 10, 2006 #16
    Too bad you got an F. Just take it again next time and study hard. Now I must return to studying for my 2 finals this saturday myself. I have forced myself off of PF by blocking it on my IE6. :bugeye: Cold-turkey is not good...

bye bye

18. May 10, 2006 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

Pfft. A whining penguin? New species! I shall name you.. Spheniscus whinasaurus :biggrin:

Its just a couple of F's.. Gale got a dozen of those, I'm almost there. Just retake it and next time get an A and be like BOOYA!

19. May 10, 2006 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An alien has taken over Cyrus !

20. May 10, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?!??!?!?!!

21. May 10, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And you thought you had a bad day! Obviously, poor Cyrus is completely crumbling under the exam pressure. :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?