If there is a God, i must have pissed him off

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Boy did i have one hell of a day. I get my results from my last midterm for htis differential equations and linear algebra class... f....F.... FAIL, beyond fail even! I should have been given an X on it. Then on my chemistry exam on, amongst other things, electrochemistry, my calculator batteries die and i don't have any backups. Do you know how hard it is to figure out what the hell ln(1/2) on a test with no calculator? Or how bout [tex]k = e^{\frac{E}{R}(\frac{1}{{T_2 }} - \frac{1}{{T_1 }})}[/tex] ??

Oh well it wasn't that bad...

Then i got home and looked at the mail and BOOM, Jury duty.

Day = suck

JamesU

Gold Member
Well I'm sure Cyrus will be here to make fun of you

Pengwuino

Gold Member
yomamma said:
Well I'm sure Cyrus will be here to make fun of you
He's already late

JamesU

Gold Member
I'll call him at home

Pengwuino

Gold Member
That's when you know your day is really bad and that you're not just belly-aching and making up drama.... you get hit with jury duty summons.

JamesU

Gold Member
give some BS excuse not to go

Pengwuino

Gold Member
yomamma said:
give some BS excuse not to go
Yah like "I plan on being tossed in jail because i didn't report to jury duty"? This isn't some school field trip to a museum. Thankfully from what I hear, you just tell them you're a physicist or a physics major and the lawyer's will tell you to go away and build a laser.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
fill out the form in crayon and explain that you cannot possibly serve jury duty because you are a penguin. that should do it.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
fill out the form in crayon and explain that you cannot possibly serve jury duty because you are a penguin. that should do it.
Yah and instead of a deputy, they'd send out the nut-house guys to my house :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ahh so many people don't care about their civic duty these days that i bet they even expect people not to come.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It just takes doing a few half-life problems before it gets permanently etched in one's brain that ln2 = 0.693. So, ln(1/2)=-0.693

Alternatively, from high school math classes you might recall that lnx=2.303logx, and surely you know that log2=0.301

As for calculating the rate constant from Arrhenius, I couldn't say unless I had the numbers.

It's also useful to feep a couple other numbers in your head for a rainy day : log3=0.4771, log7=0.8451

Mostly, that's all you'll need to find any other logarithm.

Rach3

Pengwuino said:
my calculator batteries die and i don't have any backups. Do you know how hard it is to figure out what the hell ln(1/2) on a test with no calculator?
Slide rule?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Rach3 said:
Slide rule?
:rofl: Good idea . . Batteries not needed.

Curious3141

Homework Helper
Pengwuino said:
Do you know how hard it is to figure out what the hell ln(1/2) on a test with no calculator?
Tsk tsk. You really should remember stuff like ln 2. Of course ln 0.5 = -ln 2

Here's what I have committed to memory, I consider this to be the basic minimum.

Natural log (ln) 2 = 0.693
Common log (ld) 2 = 0.301

By dividing those, you can work out ln 10, and you can convert between natural and common logs.

Oh yeah, also remember powers of 2 up to around 2^20 and up to the fifth powers of other numbers from 3 to 11 (of course you can omit the composites and powers (6 = 3*2, 9 = 3^2, 8 = 2^3 etc), 5 = 10/2 and powers of 11 are trivially easy with a Pascal's triangle-like addition algorithm, so that amounts to memorising only powers of 3 and 7). And try and remember stuff like sqrt 2, 3, 5 and 10 up to 3 decimal places. And of course pi and e to 9 decimal places (e is very easy, it almost seems to be a recurrent decimal for the first few places).

All this stuff will really help you in a pinch. It's like the Amex ad : "just in case". :smile:

Last edited:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Yah and instead of a deputy, they'd send out the nut-house guys to my house :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
But it would get you out of it. :biggrin: :rofl:

Better stock up on books, because you'll have a lot of time to sit around and wait while they decide you can't serve on any case for jury duty. Lawyers don't like people with a science background; they understand the forensics too well. Then again, you could show them the F you got and maybe they'll decide you're okay to put on an interesting case. :tongue:

Now, where is Cyrus? You're down and he isn't here picking on you...I hope he's feeling okay. :uhh:

Curious3141

Homework Helper
Moonbear said:
Lawyers don't like people with a science background; they understand the forensics too well.
If this is true, I've lost all faith in the legal system. :frown: If the fate of someone depends on convincing the ignorant and/or unintelligent, what hope have we of justice ?

I would've said I've lost all faith in lawyers, but I never had any to begin with. :rofl:

Too bad you got an F. Just take it again next time and study hard. Now I must return to studying for my 2 finals this saturday myself. I have forced myself off of PF by blocking it on my IE6. :bugeye: Cold-turkey is not good...

bye bye

cronxeh

Gold Member
Pfft. A whining penguin? New species! I shall name you.. Spheniscus whinasaurus :biggrin:

Its just a couple of F's.. Gale got a dozen of those, I'm almost there. Just retake it and next time get an A and be like BOOYA!

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:
Too bad you got an F. Just take it again next time and study hard. Now I must return to studying for my 2 finals this saturday myself. I have forced myself off of PF by blocking it on my IE6. :bugeye: Cold-turkey is not good...

bye bye
An alien has taken over Cyrus !

Pengwuino

Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:

bye bye
:bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?!??!?!?!!

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
:bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?!??!?!?!!
And you thought you had a bad day! Obviously, poor Cyrus is completely crumbling under the exam pressure. :eek:

wolram

Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:

bye bye
A man under great stress, i bet Cyrus has spare batteries, calculator and a
back up slide rule, i guess it makes one feel good knowing they have paid out
for that F.