1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If y=x^x then what is x in terms of y?

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    i know this is possible to find with iteration, but is it possible to find it algebraically?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi 3hlang! :smile:
    Nope!

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This probably isn't what you mean by "algebraically" but if you take the logarithm of both sides of the equation you get ln(y)= xln(x) and then x= W(ln(y)) where W is the "Lambert W function" which is defined as the inverse function to xln(x).

5. Jul 16, 2009 #4
    ... and the reason we talk about the Lambert W function is that none of the previously-defined standard functions would work.

6. Jul 22, 2009 #5
    so if x=y^y, then y=?

7. Jul 22, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All you have done is swap x and y! If [itex]x= y^y[/itex] then, by the same formula I gave before, y= W(ln(x)).

8. Jul 22, 2009 #7
    what? i wasn't claiming to have done anything radical to the formula. all i wanted to know was what you do the w function of. but thank you for telling me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook