If you had a million dollars to spend, what would you buy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Norman
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
69 replies · 13K views
Norman
Messages
895
Reaction score
4
If you had a million dollars to spend, what would you buy?

I don't have a million dollars and likely never will (all at the same time), but it is a funny question to think about.

I would build a nice, quality house, maybe near the beach. 3 bedrooms + guest room. Not with all the money. I would also buy a great car. Probably 60s or 70s American muscle car. A Charger would be sweet, 2nd gen or 3rd gen... I would have to decide how comfy I wanted it to be...

I really can't think of anything that odd to buy. Some cool Star Wars stuff for my wife... she would want lots of high heel shoes. That would make her happy.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd get a little house on a lake in the mountains. I figure that will probably use most of the million, what's left over will most likely be used for upkeep.
 
Evo, your upkeep statement made me think of something: Housekeeper! That is what I want. Someone to help keep the house clean.
 
I would buy MIH a green dress.

I'd buy each of my kids a Subaru Outback.

I'd buy myself a small two bedroom house.

I'd buy myself new furniture and buy some really good pots and pans.

I'd get my Jeep lifted and buy a nice a little Subaru for the highway (lifted Jeeps just suck for highway driving - especially for cross country trips).

I'd get a big LED television along with the HD accessories to go along with it.

I'd buy a slide rule on e-Bay.
 
BobG said:
I would buy MIH a green dress.

I'd buy each of my kids a Subaru Outback.

I'd buy myself a small two bedroom house.

I'd buy myself new furniture and buy some really good pots and pans.

I'd get my Jeep lifted and buy a nice a little Subaru for the highway (lifted Jeeps just suck for highway driving - especially for cross country trips).

I'd get a big LED television along with the HD accessories to go along with it.

I'd buy a slide rule on e-Bay.

But not a real green dress -- that's cruel.
 
A mutual fund, forget about it, and let it grow until I'm 50. That would give me about 5 million to retire on, and about $400k/year in interest alone (assuming avg. 8% return).
 
I would give some to my daughter, then buy a ticket to America and take a long tour, may be visit some of my PF pals if they wanted me to.
 
I've converted it to pounds as I'm in the UK.

First thing I'd do is give some to my family (about 10% per person - would total about 50% of the cash).

Aside from that, nothing amazing. Pay off student debts perhaps. Get a place to live and a new car.

Regardless of the amount, I'd rather dish most of it out to my family and let everyone benefit from it than me just hog it all. The amount I'd give would vary, but it's at least 10% each.
 
Norman said:
If you had a million dollars to spend, what would you buy?

I don't have a million dollars and likely never will (all at the same time), but it is a funny question to think about.

I would build a nice, quality house, maybe near the beach. 3 bedrooms + guest room. Not with all the money. I would also buy a great car. Probably 60s or 70s American muscle car. A Charger would be sweet, 2nd gen or 3rd gen... I would have to decide how comfy I wanted it to be...

I really can't think of anything that odd to buy. Some cool Star Wars stuff for my wife... she would want lots of high heel shoes. That would make her happy.


Nothing. Ill prolly try to make more money with them.
 
I'd share roughly a quarter of it with one individual I won't name, and invest the rest.
 
Books, and a storage space for them where I might take a nap once in a while. :smile:
 
Flush is down the toilet, money is the root of all evil
epic_smiley_display.png
 
arildno said:
Books, and a storage space for them where I might take a nap once in a while. :smile:

Ooh! I'd blow some cash on a Kindle.
 
DanP said:
Nothing. Ill prolly try to make more money with them.

You don't need a million dollars to do nothing :).
 
If it were $1M AFTER tax:

- Buy my dream car (1967 Corvette)
- Pay off my mortgage(s)
- Send my kids to college

That would pretty much exhaust it. If taxes needed to be payed on the $1M, forget the mortgage payoff
 
Kevin_Axion said:
You don't need a million dollars to do nothing :).

the question wasn't "what would you do with 1M...", was "What would you buy with 1M".
I would buy nothing. I would use that capital to make more money :P
 
nismaratwork said:
Kurdt: Property... as in land and homes... or like women?
...
...
...

Slavery ended long ago in the western world :P
 
nismaratwork said:
Good taste!

Kurdt: Property... as in land and homes... or like women?
...
...
...

HUGE J-slash-K! Ahhhh, I couldn't resist the ambiguity... *huddles under arildno to hide from the PF Sisterhood*
Huddle under me? Are you sure? :devil:
 
First I'd find 10 banks to put it in and then I'd probably buy a nice three room apartment in the city and take exotic vacations off of the interest :smile:
 
arildno said:
Huddle under me? Are you sure? :devil:


This is the best post yet this year on this section of the board :P I would pay to see the scene. :devil:
 
a million dollars?
I'd buy:
1) Boat
2) A membership at a hardware store
3) Something for mom
4) Death ray
 
DanP said:
I would pay to see the scene. :devil:

You mean like BIG nismaratwork huddle under tiny arildno...?:rolleyes:?
 
DevilsAvocado said:
You mean like BIG nismaratwork huddle under tiny arildno...?:rolleyes:?

HEY!
I'm not THAT tiny, not where it counts anyway..
 
Monique said:
First I'd find 10 banks to put it in and then I'd probably buy a nice three room apartment in the city and take exotic vacations off of the interest :smile:
Not if you banked it in the US. The Fed has made access to money so cheap for the banks that the banks pay almost nothing on your deposits.
 
I would buy 1,958,276,894,188,890,000,000 Zimbabwean dollars and be a Sextillionaire!

YEEHAAAAA! Wall Street here I come! :cry: (<-- tears of happiness)