If you just don't like abstract art then don't look at it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Abstract Art
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
54 replies · 8K views
BicycleTree said:
Well, it is interesting that people see in my picture so many different things. Myself, I thought of a flaming medieval siege missile. The proportion of it also reminded me of that Surrealist painting with the castle built on a huge stone hanging in the air (can't find the name).
From your description of the "ideal" drawing in the other thread, which was something like a pseudo-engineering drawing, I was expecting something very much more complex and which demonstrated some drafting skills.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you were jumping to conclusions. Such an engineering drawing was only an illustrative example. I was saying I tend to like stuff that balances on the line between great meaning that you just haven't understood yet and nonsense--but that type of art I tend to reserve for text.

The pictures I make in Paint are more spontaneous.
 
BicycleTree said:
Well, you were jumping to conclusions.
Indeed I was, as you have amply proven.
 
Enough. Shut up. The picture's good and your art taste sucks.
 
BicycleTree said:
Enough. Shut up. The picture's good and your art taste sucks.
Yes, if only the viewing public had any taste!
 
My, my. Artists are so tempermental. :-p

This seems an appropriate time to post a link to the site of my all-time most favorite art critic. There's a little bit of profanity here, so the easily offended might want to skip this one:
http://maddox.xmission.com/irule.html
 
That maddox article is a classic.. Read both pages (and keep an open-mind; he's just joking...for the most part).
 
Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
my all-time most favorite art critic.
Perhaps you should forward him a copy of BT's efforts and abide by his decision. (There's no need to tell him that it was done by an adult.)
 
Math Is Hard said:
My, my. Artists are so tempermental. :-p

This seems an appropriate time to post a link to the site of my all-time most favorite art critic. There's a little bit of profanity here, so the easily offended might want to skip this one:
http://maddox.xmission.com/irule.html
:smile: Hee hee. I always love that when some kid hands me a drawing, and you have to find some tactful way of inquiring what it's supposed to be as you're saying stuff like, "Isn't that so nice," while hoping you aren't holding it upside-down. :smile:
 
I did say something about not viewing this if you don't like abstract art, didn't I?

Get out of my thread, pansies.
 
Knavish said:
This proves that BicycleTree has an outstanding chance of making it as a big name artist. The art is immaterial, what you need is the unshakable determination to approach an art gallery with a bit of your poo on a piece of paper, and the earnestness to speak about that poo as if it is a really ground breaking adventure in aesthetics; a truly new way of looking at things.
 
zoobyshoe said:
as if it is a really ground breaking adventure in aesthetics; a truly new way of looking at things.
Then perhaps he should approach a publisher as well.
 
BicycleTree said:
I did say something about not viewing this if you don't like abstract art, didn't I?

Get out of my thread, pansies.
I like abstract art, if it's good. Jackson Pollock, Mark Tobey, Jasper Johns. I like those guys.
 
Knavish said:

I'm not sure what to make of the pencil scribble, but if you tilt your monitor just right, you can see there's actually more to the painting than at first meets the eye. There's sort of a masked figure that's nearly transparent behind the scribble. Honestly, I enjoy those types of paintings, the ones that as you stand back and look at them, they appear to be nothing but a completely black or white canvas, but if you move in a bit closer or stand off to one side so the light hits it just right, you can see there's actually a complex painting in the textures and ever-so-subtle shades of black/dark gray or white/light gray that you don't see from every angle. They're sort of optical illusions. But those are usually considered modern art rather than abstract art.
 
BicycleTree said:
How about Piet Mondrian?
Not my taste, no. Too simple and static. I like Pollock, for example, because his stuff is so energetic.
 
The picture of this thread has been demonstrated good. It stood the test of interest: intuitively, people tried to interpret it, and it was universal enough so that many different interpretations along the same theme fit it. It's a pretty picture, and the techniques used to create it came out neatly in rendering the licks of fire and sharp lines at the top and the increased chunkiness of line towards the bottom (an effect which was, by the way, not consciously rendered). It is not my best, but it is good.
 
As long as you can talk, you have an art carrear in front of you.
 
Stop whining. I'm looking at this thing again, and frankly, it's eye-catching.
 
BicycleTree said:
How about Piet Mondrian?
I like some of his earlier works, but once he got into neoplasticism, that doesn't really hold my interest. That style, to me, seems better for stained glass windows than paintings. Though, it's decent for decorating a large, empty wall in a very modern building.
 
BicycleTree said:
Stop whining. I'm looking at this thing again, and frankly, it's eye-catching.
That's the ticket. It's not the art, itself, it's the hypnosis of the viewer by the artists words.
 
O think that marketing is secretly what PF is all about