If You Know What I Mean's question at Yahoo Answers regarding summations

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the sum of all integers between 0 and 101 that are divisible by 2 and 5, respectively. The formula used to solve this is \sum_{k=1}^nk=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}, where n is the upper limit of summation. By factoring out the common divisor and using the formula, we find that the sum for a) is 2550 and for b) is 1050. The original poster is also encouraged to post any similar questions in the designated forum for further help.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How with sequence question?

find the sum of all integers between 0 an 101 that are divisible by a)2 b)5

thanks

Here is a link to the question:

How with sequence question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello If You Know What I Mean,

For these two questions, we will rely on the formula:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^nk=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\)

We will factor out the integer $m$ which divides each term, leaving a summation of sequential natural numbers, whose upper limit of summation is determined by \(\displaystyle \left\lfloor\frac{101}{m} \right\rfloor\). Hence, we find:

a) \(\displaystyle S=2\sum_{k=1}^{50}k=2\cdot\frac{50(50+1)}{2}=50 \cdot51=2550\)

b) \(\displaystyle S=5\sum_{k=1}^{20}k=5\cdot\frac{20(20+1)}{2}=50 \cdot21=1050\)

To If You Know What I Mean and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other summation of arithmetic series questions in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f2/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to If You Know What I Mean's question at Yahoo Answers regarding summations

1. What is a summation?

A summation, also known as a sum, is a mathematical operation that adds together a sequence of numbers or terms. It is represented by the symbol ∑ and is often used to find the total of a set of numbers or to express a mathematical series.

2. How do you calculate a summation?

To calculate a summation, you need to add together all the numbers or terms in the given sequence. This can be done manually by writing out each number and adding them together, or by using a calculator or spreadsheet program. The formula for calculating a summation is ∑(n = 1 to k) of f(n), where n is the starting index, k is the ending index, and f(n) is the function or expression being summed.

3. What is the purpose of using summations?

Summations are used in mathematics to find the total of a set of numbers or to express a mathematical series. They are also used in various fields of science, such as physics and statistics, to represent and analyze data. Summations can help simplify complex mathematical equations and make them easier to solve.

4. Can summations be used with any type of numbers?

Yes, summations can be used with any type of numbers, including whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and even complex numbers. They can also be used with variables and algebraic expressions, making them a versatile tool in mathematics and science.

5. Are there any special rules or properties for summations?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that apply to summations. These include the commutative property, which states that the order of the terms in a summation does not affect the result, and the distributive property, which allows for the distribution of a constant or variable across a summation. There are also various summation formulas and techniques, such as the telescoping series and the geometric series, that can be used to simplify and evaluate summations.