I'm a high schooler seeking guidance

• Thread starter Caden Glick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school sophomore who is interested in engineering, particularly in working with computers in a physical sense, and robotics. They are unsure of the specific field they want to pursue and are seeking advice from others. The conversation also touches on the potential for exploring different interests and options before making a decision.
Caden Glick
Okay, so I'm only a sophomore in high school, and since I've been little, I've had a passion for 2 things, building small things (legos), and electronics. I'm saving to build my own computer next year.
Anyhow, I don't know exactly what career I want to have as a career, I do know that I want to be an engineer, but I'm not sure under which field. Is there a field of engineering working with computers in a physical sense, I'd rather not be a coding engineers. I'm sure that relates to the Legos, I love building smaller things.
I'm aware this isn't the most organized post, I've never used a forum before, but thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about it, but does robotics engineering sound okay to what I'm looking for in my interests?
(Ooh fun fact, I live in Waco, Texas, right by SpaceX!)

Yes robotics sounds like a good match. Lot of other jobs involve working with computers other than programming, for example Computer Aided Design.

CWatters said:
Yes robotics sounds like a good match. Lot of other jobs involve working with computers other than programming, for example Computer Aided Design.
Thanks for the response, I'd hate to ask, but as a robotics engineer, what are some things I'd come into contact with while working on a daily basis, what's it like being one?

There's electrical and computer engineering, each of them having many options for what you want to concentrate on.

Sounds to me like you'd enjoy EECS. But anyway, as a high school sophomore, you have a long time before you have to choose.

Honestly with the time you have, you should just explore your interests more in and out of school, and from there you'll get a better idea of what you want to do.

Likes bcrowell
Look into mechatronics. It is a fancy name for machine and controls integration ie Robots. You posts indicate that you would do well, but you have a couple of years of school before you actually need to commit. Even in college, most students take general classes for the first year or so. Engineering students tend to take the more difficult science and calculus course work that allows them to graduate in four years vs needing five year if they are not prepared for the rigorous math and science they require for their fields ie the potential engineering student took easier algebra level math when he/she should/could have taken trig or precalc in HS, etc.

What are some tips for balancing academics and extracurricular activities?

1. Prioritize your commitments: Make a list of all your academic and extracurricular responsibilities and prioritize them based on their importance and deadlines.2. Create a schedule: Use a planner or a calendar to schedule your tasks and activities. This will help you stay organized and on top of your responsibilities.3. Learn to say no: It's important to know your limits and not take on too many commitments. Don't be afraid to say no if you feel overwhelmed.4. Use your time wisely: Make the most of your free time by studying or completing assignments. This will help you stay ahead and avoid last-minute stress.5. Seek help when needed: If you find yourself struggling to balance everything, don't hesitate to reach out to a teacher, counselor, or parent for guidance and support.

How can I choose the right career path as a high school student?

1. Explore your interests: Take classes, join clubs, or participate in activities that align with your interests. This can help you discover what you are passionate about.2. Research potential careers: Look into different career options and learn about their job responsibilities, required education, and salary.3. Talk to professionals: Reach out to people who are currently working in the field you are interested in and ask them about their experiences and advice.4. Consider your strengths and skills: Think about what you are good at and what skills you possess that can be useful in a certain career.5. Keep an open mind: Don't limit yourself to one specific career path. Be open to exploring different options and be willing to change your mind if needed.

What are some effective study strategies for high school students?

1. Create a study schedule: Set aside dedicated time for studying each day and stick to it.2. Take breaks: It's important to take breaks while studying to avoid burnout. Take a short walk, get a snack, or do some stretches.3. Use active learning techniques: Instead of just reading or highlighting, try active learning techniques like summarizing, creating flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else.4. Stay organized: Keep your study materials and notes organized so you can easily find what you need.5. Seek help when needed: If you don't understand something, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or classmates for help.

What are some tips for managing stress as a high school student?

1. Identify your stress triggers: Figure out what causes you the most stress and try to avoid or manage those situations.2. Practice self-care: Take care of your physical and mental health by getting enough sleep, eating well, and engaging in activities you enjoy.3. Stay organized: Use a planner or calendar to keep track of assignments and deadlines to avoid last-minute stress.4. Take breaks: Allow yourself breaks throughout the day to relax and recharge.5. Talk to someone: If you are feeling overwhelmed, talk to a trusted friend, family member, or counselor for support.

How can I prepare for college as a high school student?

1. Take challenging courses: Colleges look for students who have taken challenging courses in high school. Take advanced or AP classes if available.2. Get involved: Participate in extracurricular activities, volunteer work, or part-time jobs to demonstrate your interests and skills.3. Start researching colleges: Look into different colleges and their requirements to get an idea of where you might want to apply.4. Prepare for standardized tests: Take the SAT or ACT and consider taking prep classes or studying on your own.5. Seek advice: Talk to your school counselor or reach out to college admissions officers for guidance on the application process.