1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm a high schooler seeking guidance

1. Dec 25, 2015 #1
    Okay, so I'm only a sophomore in high school, and since I've been little, I've had a passion for 2 things, building small things (legos), and electronics. I'm saving to build my own computer next year.
    Anyhow, I don't know exactly what career I wanna have as a career, I do know that I want to be an engineer, but I'm not sure under which field. Is there a field of engineering working with computers in a physical sense, I'd rather not be a coding engineers. I'm sure that relates to the Legos, I love building smaller things.
    I'm aware this isn't the most organized post, I've never used a forum before, but thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2015 #2
    I don't know much about it, but does robotics engineering sound okay to what I'm looking for in my interests?
    (Ooh fun fact, I live in Waco, Texas, right by SpaceX!)

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes robotics sounds like a good match. Lot of other jobs involve working with computers other than programming, for example Computer Aided Design.

5. Dec 25, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the response, I'd hate to ask, but as a robotics engineer, what are some things I'd come into contact with while working on a daily basis, what's it like being one?

6. Dec 25, 2015 #5
    There's electrical and computer engineering, each of them having many options for what you want to concentrate on.

7. Dec 25, 2015 #6

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds to me like you'd enjoy EECS. But anyway, as a high school sophomore, you have a long time before you have to choose.

8. Dec 25, 2015 #7
    Honestly with the time you have, you should just explore your interests more in and out of school, and from there you'll get a better idea of what you wanna do.

9. Dec 28, 2015 #8

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Look into mechatronics. It is a fancy name for machine and controls integration ie Robots. You posts indicate that you would do well, but you have a couple of years of school before you actually need to commit. Even in college, most students take general classes for the first year or so. Engineering students tend to take the more difficult science and calculus course work that allows them to graduate in four years vs needing five year if they are not prepared for the rigorous math and science they require for their fields ie the potential engineering student took easier algebra level math when he/she should/could have taken trig or precalc in HS, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook