Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm getting sick of all of these hurricanes already

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    Hurricane Irene and Lee dumping rain here the past 2 weeks, and now Katia supposed to come later this week? It's supposed to rain for the next 10 freakin days straight! That'll almost be 3 weeks straight of rain!!!!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I live in the Pacific Northwest...I love rain :!!).

Who's been stealing our damn rain?!

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    Let's just hope to god Katia stays on its projected course. It's a monster category 4 and would absolutely devastating if it hit land with that kind of power.

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Lee was really more of a depression, not really a sustained tropical storm, IIRC, definitely not a hurricane, but the media was complaing reporting it as depression #xxx wasn't exciting. It seems the highest sustained gusts (lasting 1 minute) was 35mph, not high enough to be classified as a tropical storm, but easy for someone to fudge that for 1 minute there was a burst of 39mph. Whatever. It's been a very slow hurricane season so far.

Katia has just now become a cat 3. According to NOAA, the speed will decrease and is not expected to get near land.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/203114.shtml?gm_track

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. Sep 6, 2011 #5
    There are reasons I moved from Florida to Colorado. Hurricanes were one reason. Mosquitoes were another.

I don't mind the water. Hell, I worked underwater for decades. But I'm not a fan of flooding, roof and window repairs, sweltering humidity.

7. Sep 6, 2011 #6
    Looks like theres another one brewing after Katia named tropical depression 14. Hurricanes, troprical depressions, or whatever they are, they're dumping ridiculous amounts of rain here. Maybe we'll make it almost 4 straight weeks of mostly rain. This is getting depressing. I just bought a new bike and have been dying to ride it, but can't!

8. Sep 6, 2011 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was thinking the same thing when Redbelly posted that link:

(blah blah mine)

I clicked on the 90 days button and the following popped up:

pf_bass_ackwards_weather_2011_summer.jpg

Have we really had no measurable rain west of the Rockies in the last 90 days? Or are we just missing?

9. Sep 6, 2011 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember a couple drizzly days, but overall it's been waaaay too dry.

10. Sep 6, 2011 #9

Astronuc

Katia lost steam and is back down to Cat 2 this evening. Katia is expected to turn north, then northeast, so the strongest winds will be far out to sea. Lee is sweeping up into the upper Ohio Valley. Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Akron and Cleveland should get a fair amount of rain.

Behind Katia is Tropical Depression 14, which could become a Cat hurricane on 9/11 as it passes Puerto Rico. TD14 may follow Irenes path as it approaches the east coast.

11. Sep 7, 2011 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are gray: just missing.

Per this map (source: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/monitoring/drought/) the far west hasn't had much rain in the last thirty days.

prec4.png

12. Sep 7, 2011 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

13. Sep 8, 2011 #12

Astronuc

We have flooding again. The local creek is at the brim in places, and some low lying areas are flooded again, although the level is somewhat less than during Irene. The same houses and business near my office are flooded again.

14. Sep 8, 2011 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

We will trade you 10,000 smoked utility poles(as in smoked salmon, YUM!) for 900 basements full of water. (You can keep the basements.)

http://vimeo.com/28647999" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  15. Sep 8, 2011 #14
    alabama has been overly dry for a few years now. we needed the rain, just not all at once.

16. Sep 9, 2011 #15

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook