1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im having trouble with this problemPlease help

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1
    A ball is dropped from rest a height h above the ground. Another ball is thrown vertically upward from the ground at the instant the first ball is released. Determine the speed of the second ball if the two balls are to meet at a height h/2 above the ground.

Ive been working so long on homework today maybe thats the reason I cant figure this one out...can someone please help me Thankyou
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2
    What have you done so far?
  4. Jan 18, 2006 #3
    For the ball released from height h, h/2 = 1/2gt^2, where t is the time taken to fall a distance of h/2. Therefore t = (h/g)^1/2.........i have no clue where to go next or if this is even correct
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  5. Jan 18, 2006 #4
    You can almost intuitively even figure this one out. You seem to be off to a good start though. Also, remember that you know that the time is the same for both since they meet at the same time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?