1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm planning on doing some type of exchange program in Russia.

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1
    is anybody here from Russia? I ask as I'm planning on doing some type of exchange program there, and am looking for schools that have strong physics programs.

i'm hoping to go to a school near a city so I get a better chance to experinece russian life.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2
    I believe that Moscow has a few decent technical institutes. Russians are rather proficient in nonlinear theory & are excellent physicists - amongst other things.
  4. Jun 20, 2007 #3
    (Могу я посоветовать М.Ф.Т.И? :wink:)
  5. Jun 20, 2007 #4
    как я могу поступит вету школу ыесли я американиц???
  6. Jun 20, 2007 #5
    I took a year of Russian at my university and I have basically no idea what you guys are saying (I recognize a few words, but that's it).

Moscow State University seems to be a good school, but I don't know much about it. Maybe look at St. Petersburg State as well.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  7. Jun 20, 2007 #6
    i'm cheating actually

using google translate and http://www.wowwi.orc.ru/cgi-bin/tt.cgi that.

but i was born in russia so i remember a lot of words i just don't know how to spell them
  8. Feb 6, 2008 #7

Do you know about the actual academic level in Russia. I've heard it tooks almost ten years to get a doctoral degree. I'm interested in getting a PhD equivalent in Russia, maybe in engineering. Is this a good idea?
  9. Feb 6, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it depends on the field. Moscow State University is famous. However, the "elite" institutes in Russia are probably the ones located in Chernogolovka (Landau institute etc).
    Moscow State has lost a LOT of researchers over the past decade or so (for obvious reasons) but still have -from what I understand- some very good programs.
  10. Feb 6, 2008 #9
    Thanks a lot. I'm checking the MAI (Moscow Aviation Institute) website and looks nice. I'm gonna follow your advice on these places. Thank you!
  11. Feb 6, 2008 #10

Homework Helper

The Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT) is a good choice for someone who is interested in a good university.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?