I'm pretty sure these molecules are polar

1. Are there not dipole-dipole interactions between CHBr3, CH3Br, CH3Cl, and CHCl3? Assume they are all separate pure substances. My professor today said that the only intermolecular forces present were dispersion forces. Are the dipole attractions negligible due to fact they are too weak?

2. jcsd
  3. DrClaude

DrClaude 2,327
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All these molecules are polar. It's hard for me to see how dipole-dipole interactions would be negligible compared to dispersion forces.

4. That's what I thought. I'll approach her with this next class period. I don't see how someone with a doctorate could miss something so obvious. There must be more to it.

5. chemisttree

chemisttree 3,721
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There isn't.

6. for example chloromethane is non-polar because it's a symmetrical molecule and its dipole moments cancel each other out...

7. DrClaude

DrClaude 2,327
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It has a C3 symmetry axis along the C-Cl bond, but that bond is highly polar. CH3Cl had a dipole moment of 1.9 D.

8. DrClaude

DrClaude 2,327
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've heard PhDs say pretty stupid things!

Depending on her particular field, this might be a subject she is less comfortable with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted