Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Im seeking for help about fitting data into a curve of sine formula

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    This is the given data table
    --------Jan----Feb----Mar---Apr----May----Jun----July----Aug----Sept----Otc----Nov----Dec
    Maximum:33.2--32.2--31.2--28.9----25.4----22.2--21.9----23.9----27---- 29.8----31.7----32.9
    This is a temperature table and i need to find its sine equation.

b3/
    y= AsinB(x-C) +D
    A=(max-min)/2=(33.2-21.9)/2=5.65
    The period is 12 months, so 2pi/B=12 => B= pi/6
    D=(max+ min)/2= (33.2+21.9)/2=27.55
    C is the half way from the first minimum to the next maximum:
    Min: July / 7 Max: January / 13
    C=(max+ min)/2=(13 + 7)/2=10
    So the equation is: y=5.65sin((pi/6) (x-10))+27.55

Well, I want to ask did i do anything wrong?
    How to improve this equation to fit the numbers better because the numbers werent fitted on my graph.
    THanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2010 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Let me be the first to welcome you to PF!

OK, you have 4 unknowns (A,B,C,D) and 12 data points. Your teacher gave no hints or clues as to how to approach the problem? What's the name of the class and what are the topics currently being covered?

4. Aug 25, 2010 #3
    Ah, hi :)
    This is an assignment he gave us. It's about sine formula.
    As i showed up there: A is the amplitude; B is the period; C is the horizontal translation and D is the horizontal translation.
    I worked out the formula for that but the numbers except the maximum and the minimum werent fitted on the graph perfectly (i used graphic calculator).

So im looking for a higher maths technique that I havent studied to improve my formula.
    btw, thanks for answering

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

One technique is least squares, where the objective is to minimize the sum of squares of distances from the data points to the curve. In your case, it's a nonlinear problem since some of the unknowns are within the sin function. You can use Google to get more information.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook