Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm stuck on a proof that's probably trivial, any insights?

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    Given polynomial P(a,b,c,d,e,f........n) = (a^0)(b^1)(c^2).......(n^n)

show that the sum of P(a,b,c,d,e,f........x) when acted upon by the symmetric group of order n and each time multipled by the sgn function (1 if even and -1 if odd); that this sum is equal to the vandermonde determinant of these variables. Any insights? I'm quite lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is your definition of the determinant? Do you know of the definition which uses the sign function?

4. Jul 9, 2015 #3
    Well, I believe that I'm using the standard definition for the determinant of the matrix (the resulting polynomial from co-factor expansion). However, the resulting determinant from a vandermonde matrix can be given by a simpler formula; it's given on this page under 'properties' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandermonde_matrix.

5. Jul 9, 2015 #4
    So yes, I'm using the definition that involves the sign function. I'm still having trouble getting from the sum of alternating polynomials acted on by the symmetric group and the definition of the determinant of the vandermonde matrix.

6. Jul 9, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

7. Jul 9, 2015 #6
    Wow, so this is like exactly what I'm looking for?

8. Jul 9, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

9. Jul 9, 2015 #8
    u da boss :D

10. Jul 10, 2015 #9
    So just to clarify, what you're saying is that the map that i'm trying to prove is equivalent to the vandermonde determinant is really equivalent to determinants in general, and thus equivalent to the vandermonde determinant.

11. Jul 10, 2015 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. The identity you are trying to prove is a special case of a more general identity.

12. Jul 10, 2015 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to go through the details of this standard permutation approach to determinants, including the proof that it agrees with the expansion by rows you mention, it is explained on pages 62-67 of these class notes:

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/4050sum08.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook