I'm stuck on solving a linear quadrupole problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving linear quadrupole and the potential of it. The person has solved part (a) of the problem using potential and is unsure if it is correct. They also mention not understanding how to solve parts (b) and (c) of the problem. For part (a), it is suggested to use simple electrostatics and geometry, while for part (b) there is confusion about the meaning of a "singular" charge density. For part (c), it is recommended to use simple electrostatics and geometry and define a uniform electric field along a specific direction. The torque will be related to the difference in forces on the outer two charges.
BREAD

Homework Statement

[
upload_2017-3-5_2-2-29.png

Homework Equations

I found this is about linear quadrupole and these are potential of it.
upload_2017-3-5_2-5-27.png
[/B]
upload_2017-3-5_2-6-34.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i solve the problem (a) by using potential.
KakaoTalk_20170305_021357511.jpg

This is what I've done, I'm not sure if it is right though.[/B]

And i have no idea how can i solve (b),(c) problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a) I wonder if you were expected to do simple electrostatics and geometry--adding up the single-particle fields, and doing first-order calculations for the distances. (I note that in your derivation you didn't insert the unit vectors until the last steps, so technically you're equating vectors to scalars.)

For (b) I don't know what they mean by a "singular" charge density, but perhaps they're thinking of something like p-orbitals.

For (c) I think this is definitely a case of simple electrostatics and geometry. Define a uniform electric field along a general direction (by symmetry this just means defining one angle) and work out the force on each charge separately; add up the results. The torque will be related to the difference in forces on the three charges (actually only the outer two are important).

1. What is a linear quadrupole problem?

A linear quadrupole problem is a type of mathematical problem involving the calculation of electric or magnetic fields produced by a system of two point charges or magnetic dipoles. In this problem, the charges or dipoles are aligned along a straight line, creating a quadrupole moment. The goal is to determine the strength and direction of the electric or magnetic field at a point in space.

2. How do I approach solving a linear quadrupole problem?

The first step in solving a linear quadrupole problem is to draw a diagram to visualize the setup of the problem. Next, use the given information to determine the values of the charges or dipoles and the distance between them. Then, use the appropriate equations to calculate the electric or magnetic field at the desired point. It is important to pay attention to the signs and directions of the charges or dipoles to ensure accurate calculations.

3. What are the equations used to solve a linear quadrupole problem?

The equations used to solve a linear quadrupole problem vary depending on whether it involves electric or magnetic fields. For electric fields, the equation is E = kq/r^3, where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charges. For magnetic fields, the equation is B = μ0m/r^3, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m is the magnetic dipole moment, and r is the distance between the dipoles.

4. What units are used in a linear quadrupole problem?

The units used in a linear quadrupole problem depend on the specific values given. For charges, the unit is typically coulombs (C), while for dipoles, the unit is typically amps per meter squared (A/m^2). For distances, the unit is usually meters (m). The units for electric and magnetic fields are newtons per coulomb (N/C) and teslas (T), respectively.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear quadrupole problem?

One common mistake to avoid when solving a linear quadrupole problem is forgetting to take into account the signs and directions of the charges or dipoles. Another mistake is using the wrong equations for electric and magnetic fields. It is also important to double check all calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Finally, make sure to properly label and interpret the final result in terms of strength and direction of the field.