I'm taking astrophysics but there is no AP department.

In summary: Yes, I am okay with that. I'm not really interested in being rich, I'm just trying to do what I can to make my family happy. I understand that they want me to have a good future and I am grateful for that, but I don't have to give up my dreams.
PhysicianSteve
I live in Indonesia and it's a developing country. There are no astrophysics faculties right here, even astronomy. Even if there is one we don't have any job related to it here. It's kinda hard for me because no one supports me to study in this field. They said "it's useless and nonsense" "Why become a scientist when you can become a rich businessman?" I'm okay with because the economic in indonesia isn't that good but i don't live because i want to be rich, etc. Of course, I understand my parents want me to have a good future especially in Indonesia but that doesn't mean i need to give up my dream.

I want to study overseas but the most thing that i lack is finance. My family don't have financial support at all. My sister right now studying Accounting and my father struggle really hard to pay the administration fee. I don't know if i can study Astrophysics eventually. Some of my friends say to study in Germany where the education is literally very cheap but the living cost are pretty high. But it's my best candidate to study in Germany because many Indonesians go there too especially Engineering students.

I also start saving my money. I teach classical piano and while the money i get is only about 20$ each kid for me but it's okay. Anyway i got 3 years to finish my Senior high school

I hope you guys can give me a few tips or recommendation. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if there is no university there that teaches astrophysics then you'll have to go somewhere else to study, if that's what you really want to do. But it sounds like you have some time. Students can change a lot over three years. You may discover other interests, or your priorities might change. But planning ahead is a good thing.

At this stage of the game for you, the big thing is to focus on your studies and build a strong foundation. Read up on stuff that interests you. Try to get the best grades you can. Whether you choose to pursue physics or engineering, there is not a lot of difference in the core material until you get into about your second year of university. So there isn't a lot of point in worrying about such specifics now.

On the financial side of things you or your parents might want to look into is whether your country has any kind of registered education savings program. With such programs often the government will match contributions you or your parents make up to a certain amount. This can really add up - even if you are only looking at it over a period of three years or so.

That's also where grades might help you. If you do really well, you might qualify for some scholarships, which can help cut down or even eliminate some costs.

Thank you so much, that really helped me to not worry for now. I think i should do what i can do right now. You're right i need to put all my focus on my grades and do my best. Even so, I'm really interested in Astrophysics but we will never know right? everyone changes. But, the priority right now is to focus on the present. Once again, Thank you so much for your answer!

Do you have the option to study physics, if not astrophysics? If you are looking at the undergraduate level, I don't think there is too much advantage in specializing too much into astrophysics. After you have your physics degree, you can then --- if you still wish and there's a mean to do it --- apply for a PhD in astrophysics in the coming years.

1. What is astrophysics and why is it important?

Astrophysics is the branch of science that studies the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It is important because it helps us understand the origins, structure, and evolution of the universe, and provides insights into fundamental laws of physics.

2. Can I still pursue a career in astrophysics without an AP department?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in astrophysics without an AP department. While having an AP department may provide more structured and advanced courses, there are still other ways to gain knowledge and experience in astrophysics, such as independent research projects, internships, and online courses.

3. Will not having an AP department affect my chances of getting into a good graduate program?

It may have some impact, but it is not the only factor that graduate programs consider. Admissions committees also look at other aspects such as research experience, GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Additionally, you can demonstrate your passion and knowledge in astrophysics through other means, like participating in a local astronomy club or presenting at conferences.

4. How can I make up for the lack of an AP department?

There are several ways to make up for the lack of an AP department. You can take online courses, attend summer programs at universities with strong astrophysics departments, participate in research projects or internships, and self-study using textbooks and online resources. It is also helpful to connect with other students or professionals in the field for advice and guidance.

5. Is there any disadvantage to studying astrophysics without an AP department?

There may be some disadvantages, such as not having access to advanced courses or specialized equipment. However, with determination and hard work, you can still gain a strong foundation in astrophysics and pursue your interests and goals in the field. Remember, many successful scientists have come from universities without an AP department.