1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other BA in Astrophysics -> MS in Applied Physics -> PhD in Applied Physics

1. May 23, 2017 #1
    Hello,

I am about to attend the University of Hawaii at Hilo as an Astrophysics major. I intend to complete my education through getting my PhD in Applied Physics, but I wanted to know if it was necessary to get a Master's? I would think so because of getting a BA in Astrophysics instead of AP. I would also think it is dependent on the school offering PhDs in AP.

The reason why I chose this path is because I want to work on machines and calculations dealing with Astronomy/Space Travel/etc. I figured with a background in Astrophysics, and a PhD in AP, I'd be a strong candidate.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2017 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Try not to get too far ahead of yourself.

As someone starting out as an undergrad, it's generally better to start more general and then work towards the specifics as you go. Starting with something as specific as "astrophysics" as an undergrad can close more doors than it opens. Why not just do a straight physics degree?

In the US system, it's a lot more common to jump straight from the BSc to the PhD. In Canadian and European systems it's more common to do the MSc first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted