Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm trying to write a program that plots the riemann zeta function

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    I saw a picture of what it might look like when I was researching it, but I'm confused about something. The picture's caption said that the complex coordinates were darkened as their value got larger, leading to a helpful graph, but I do not understand what scale they used. For my program, I just divided the result of the function by 10000, then used that number to set the darkness of the point, 0 being the darkest and 255 being the brightest. That resulted something that looked remotely similar to the ideal graph, but it really wasn't very decent. There was a slightly curved line going down around the imaginary axis, with a few brighter spots near it going down at regular intervals of about 5 units. (I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but it would be hard to get one).

Anyway- to the question:

What scale do you think I should use to translate the number returned from the function to darkness? Should it be logarithmic, or linear?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted