1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imaginary number's definition misunderstanding

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm in this self-learning course. I came on this problem I thought of.

So, i^2=-1.
    But, isn't i=sqroot of -1?
    If so, the product of the two minus -1 and the square root of that should give 1.

Am I not getting something?
    I searched the web with the keywords of my question, but I couldn't find any result...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is i positive or negative?

The relation i^2 = -1 is the converse of saying i = SQRT(-1). If a = SQRT(b), then a^2 = b.

Then, there are these relations:

i = SQRT(-1)
    i^2 = -1
    i^3 = -i
    i^4 = +1

4. Aug 5, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I do not understand what you mean by "The product of two minus -1 and the square of that". Literally interpreted, "two minus -1" is 2- (-1)= 3 but surely that is not what you mean. Did you mean "the product of -1, twice"? Does "that" refer to i? Yes, [itex]i^2= -1[/itex]. The product of "-1, twice" is [itex](-1)^2= 1[/itex]. What does that have to do with [itex]i^2= -1[/itex]?

If there is something you are "not getting", perhaps it is the difference between the "square" and the "square root". The square of -2 is (-1)(-1)= 1. But the square root of -1 is i.

(There is a "technical" point here: while every number has a single square, every complex number has two square roots. The two square roots of -1 are i and -i.)

5. Aug 5, 2013 #4
    Oh boy, sorry. I'm a second language speaker so speaking English messes my train of thoughts. :P
    Let me repair the situation:
    So, I have been taught that:''the product of two radicals is the same as the radical of the product, and vice versa.''-purplemath
    But, now, dealing with the imaginary number:
    We know that i=sqroot(-1).
    So, i^2 should equal 1 since:
    i^2=sqroot(-1)xsqroot(-1)=sqroot(-1x-1)=sqroot(1)=1

But, that makes no sense because it is said that i^2=-1

Is the property that I have been taught wrong? If so, when can I not use it?

6. Aug 5, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The square root has an ambiguity in the complex numbers. You cannot use all the regular operations possible with positive real numbers.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@alingly1: You may find this post in the FAQ section by micromass interesting:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637214 [Broken]

You will find a discussion of some of the "paradoxes" arising from mis-using the usual rules of arithmetic with complex numbers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook